Posts by Bonkers

Quote from "DrJ"

C'mon man, you didn't do THAT badly yesterday...you can still ride with us.

:laughabove: I think that post just pulled me from my surley mood for the day - my employees thank you DrJ...

Legally speaking it won't protect you for a second
    in court - this is a padlock on a yard gate - only
    going to keep honest people honest.

Once you hook your car to another vehicle you
    become legally responsible for the damage to
    that car, on snow, sand, or ashpalt.

Quote from "rdjp94"

i had a friend who owned a radio station.. or word of mouth on the clubs.. this could be a big event ..

As someone who organizes a lot of club events for other clubs I tell you from experience that you want to keep prototype meets as small as possible when starting out. Since this would be a new thing to the club I would strongly suggest keeping it within the ranks for at least the first couple of tries. This way you can get the chance to iron out issues without pissing off the entire state and without having the club look bad to other local groups.

For instance the biggest issue with swap meets is always parking - if it goes perfect with a small group then try a slightly bigger and so on... This has the potiental to be huge, but you want to make sure you're prepared.

For us southern folk I can offer my driveway for about 8-10 jeeps to park. If you want a micro-meet down here I'm about as central sussex as it gets.

Quote from "Slimer"

Actually I didn't realize MJs weren't full frame. :doh:

Yup, they are much stiffer and stronger because of those bed rails, but from the door handles forward they are genuine Xj...

I think what Slimer meant was take all the fancy cab stuff out of Carmine and install it in Sapphire. (Scarlet's long gone - she's doing yard work at Wilsons Auction and the owner won't sell her back.) This would pretty much be the plan anyway depending on how touch the AC is.

Unfortunatly neither have the Ax15, nor D44. I worked all last night getting the brakes to cooperate - hopefully if the weather holds Sapphire will get her first offical road test tonight when I get home. Course if the brakes fail during the test this might be a moot point altogether.

Does anyone know of a R134 kit for jeeps? I know they make tons of Air kits for chevys, but I haven't come across anything for Jeeps.

Quote from "bmf24"

if the motor is not an HO then you dont want it. i had a cherokee with an older 4.0 and it barley got out of its own way.

I disagree with that whole heartedly - the factory numbers between the HO and Renix are only 20hp and the exact same amount of torque - for that meager HP gain you lose the knock sensor and get the benefit of early 90s Chrysler tampering. Realistically I have yet to see dyno or track numbers that actually show any difference between the motors other than the Renix tended to get better gas mileage. After some long and thorough research I've come to the conclusion its better to have the 86-89 non-HO models then the 91-95s.

Now manual transmissions - they were another story.

I think he did right in getting the HO though as it will fit much better into his 96 engine bay. Unfortunately I've been asked to the MotorTrend Auto show in Baltimore this weekend so I cannot help. Good luck.

I'm still playing with the notion of mating them. I haven't gotten any real responses from the Mj boards about how difficult swapping the AC would be. In terms of both mechnical compatiblity and legality.

Here's my problem - Having just sold my third, I'm now down to two Mjs, realistically I only have space/time/money for one.

"Carmine" - 1989 . Red . Pioneer . SWB . 4x4 . 143,000 miles . 4.0L . 5spd
    Pros - Great body, working AC, Pioneer option, new Rad/exhaust/minor work.
    Cons - Annoying electrical and mechanical problems (for me, probably not a mechanic), undercarriage was "rustproofed" meaning rust is now eating it alive - both floorboards are already toast. Can't seem to get it running well enough to pass inspection.

"Sapphire" - 1988 . SportTruck . SWB . 4x4 . 125300 miles . 4.0L . 5spd
    Pros - Runs unbelievably well, tranny/drivetrain dry, absolutely love the colour (PQ9 if anyone can tell me the name), electrical 99% functioning.
    Cons - Lots of very minor body/trim/interior issues, no AC, base model options, and a brake gremlin that I can't seem to kill. Also the title is very questionable and even though passing inspection may not be tough - getting a title/registration may mean going to court and battling the state police.

Neither truck is exactly what I want, but both meet my basic requirements. More so both are in pretty good condition. Ideally I would love to switch the interior, doors, AC, tilt steering wheel, new coolant system, and new exhaust over to the sporttuck, but it would take a lot of time and energy and kill the value of both.

I can sell both at a profit.

So what are the opinions - do I keep the Pioneer and fight the rust, mechanics, electrical, so I can have a great looking comfortable 'Manche? Do I play it safe and keep the beater, no frills, yet strong running and healthy Sport?
    Or do I sell both and conitune my never-ending saga to get Gracie back?

This happened to me once with an Mj - all I did was pull the handle then take a rubber mallet and whacked (not hard enough to dent or scratch, but enough to rattle) the corners and middle of the hood until it shook loose. Took about 30 hits, but eventually the vibrations broke whatever it was holding it loose. A little lube and never happened again.

[size=9px][disclaimer] Bonkers is not responsible for any damage to your vehicle as a result of his advice including the use of heavy blunt objects, sharp prying objects, or duct tape. He is not a professional and should not be considered as such... ever[/disclaimer][/size]

I vote guilty - from what I read RT1 is only offlimits in Lewes-Rehoboth and the canal bridge is a far cry from the hectic ratrace of 95/495.

Can anyone else hear the Aztec theme music playing in the
    background?

In all seriousness that pic looks better then the lowrider they
    last released, but it still has a long way to go before I let my
    wife buy one.

Manual transmission in a heated garage. I had her face forward on the ramps and in 1st and she slowly backed herself down in 1-inch lurches. I'm glad it wasn't the Honda or Viper - I would have been very slowly crushed.

Never had this problem before. When I put Carmine into gear on an incline she lurches very slowly down the hill. I put the new exhaust on yesterday I put her at the top of the ramps and by the time I got finished cutting the old exhaust off she was half-way down. With no parking brake this is a big concern.

Oh and this is the opposite direction gear with the engine off.

Quote from "Icky"

but was trying to concentrate on the road and talk to my mom on the phone at the same time.

Ha! I just figured you were probably on a much longer distance call. On the plus side though, I now know what your rig looks like on the road for when I get Carmine tagged.