Posts by Bonkers

I'd never powerwash the engine bay - Like Keith said, its a recipe for disaster. The best way is Gunk Foamy Engine Bright, an old toothbrush (or if you're really hard core the one you're still using,) and a hose with a low pressure spout. It'll take a while, but your rig will be running afterwards.

Quote from "Rob Smith"

Are we talking about the axle swap or the SOA?

Yes.

I figure if I'm going to go through all the headaches of pulling the axle I might as well take advantage of the teardown. I really, really, really loath drums - they never seem to stay in one peice and I have yet to meet the setup that performs the way I want it to. Since there is no bolt-on kits for the D35 I need to upgrade to a D44 with a kit or a Ford 8.8 with oem discs. I have discovered that the tires I want are easier to come by in 31s so I'm thinking a mild lift kit while in the process.

This is going to be a major operation with many upgrades in process - I figure if its going to start off being difficult then it may be worth it just to hold off for a while.

I'm toying with the notion of swapping the D35 out of Carmine for a D44 or possibly a Ford 8.8. I really want the 8.8 for the discs, but I have been told there are disc conversions for the D44 and the axle is a straight bolt-in.

Has anyone here actually done this swap? I know there is plenty to read online, but if I do this I want to be sure I can talk to someone in the know when/if things go sour.

If you can get this done in a day you can use mine this weekend. I'll be heading to the races either Saturday or Sunday. But I haven't gotten around to prepping it yet so there is no lift, no compressor, and only basic tools here. I do have a 2 ton pump jack and jack stands to offer.

I won't have time to organize anything this week, but you get the folks, the refreshments, and the tools you need and you can use my garage and bathroom.

I live about 15min southeast of Georgetown.

If I can find the D44 I'm looking for I might be attempting a spring over conversion on my Mj. Depending on compatiblity, parts, and time it takes to do mine, you'd all be welcome to use my heated garage afterwards. Of course I'm a couple of miles south of you.

Old jeeps are a dime-a-dozen out west and have a lot less rust issues. I say sell and take your losses now - every jeep loses money, no point dwelling on it. If gas prices keep climbing you might luck out with a 401 or other guzzler collectable. Worse case is that you get out there and suddenly *need* to sell it - you'd pay to ship and lose even more money with the lower values out there.

My opinion - Sell, move, reevaluate once there, buy another.

I have always heard about covering the Dis and intake, but I scrub the engine bays of all my cars a dozen times a years and never once had a problem. I would avoid the pressure washer though - forcing water into crevices can be quite damaging - especially with colder weather coming in.

I usually pick up a can of "Foamy Engine Bright' (silver and orange can with blue writing) empty the hold thing where the engine needs the most work - let sit for about 5-15minutes and then take the garden hose to it.

I'll be posting pics of my cleanup of Carmine in the next week and you can see the difference then.

Quote from "wanderlust"

I'll admit I didn't read anything about it, just looked at the pictures, but what's the difference?

Dimension.......Jeep Compass......2001 Subaru Forrester AWD
    Wheelbase......103.70..................99.40
    Length............173.40..................175.59
    Width..............69.30...................68.30
    Height.............63.30...................66.4
    Clearance........7.10....................7.48
    Weight............n/a......................3020.33

According to Motortrend the target market for this vehicle is the Toyota Scion

Dimension.......Jeep Partiot.......Jeep Liberty
    Wheelbase......103.70...............104.30
    Length............173.70...............174.40
    Width..............69.10................71.60
    Height.............65.60................71.90
    Clearance.......8.30..................9.50
    Weight............n/a...................3858.40

According to Road and Track the target market for this vehicle is the Forrester.

The last OBDII reader I looked at was about $2000-used. A different level of scanner obviously, but you'll never hear me rag on someone about the price of theirs now.

Ripped? Depends on how often you pay to have the codes read. If you have them read often then you'll eventually be ahead. If this is the first time you ever threw a code then the scanner might last longer than the jeep.

I'm sorry Andrew, I thought you were quoting someone from another forum - I didn't realize you asking for yourself.

Trust me, unless we get a blizzard (or ice storm) like a few years back you're not going to see conditions here that will test your abilities, especially if its a newer ford diesel and has ABS.

I'd decide how much you want to baby the motor before considering plugging it in - its a little thing but in the winter it will spin your meter. If you're looking to eventually be buried it in, I'd recommend plugging it in everytime it gets frosty out (big $$ elec bill) - diesels and cold startups don't mix well. Like Quad said though, not really necessary until you hit subfreezing.

If its an older truck, you only plan on keeping a few years, and/or you have no fears with playing with it I'd recommend going veggie. Basically free gas and your motor will last much, much longer, just requires a little extra effort.

Quote from "BlueJ"

In Delaware climate am I going to have difficulty starting the truck in the winter without plugging it in?

Make me wonder where he's moving in from....

The easiest solution I have ever found for the light end of a pickup (though I don't really consider a newer F250 light-assed - he must new to the big truck life) is to get a 1/4 sheet (or a couple) of steel cut in the shape of the bed. It'll add a couple of hundred pounds, sit snuggly inside without shifting or blowing, and can easily be removed with a talented motorlift operator. The downside of course is the price, and its tendency to rust.

Quote from "DrJ"

But make it special mechanically as well, not just colors and stickers.

DrJ, you do realize we are talking about Jeep, as in Chrysler, right?

All they need is the screaming chicken on the hood... It's only a matter of time before the "Fally Guy" and "Rockford" get special edition cars as well.

I hate gold, but I have to admit, I kinda like it - but it still would have to have the chicken.

It's similar to battery acid corrosion, but not as 'fluffy.' If I'm sure it was harmless I would let it be - it gives themetal a very nice looking marble appearence. Bleachy water doesn't seem to affect it.

It's on everything, hoses, covers, paint. I was cheking out the suspension and noticed it had infested the spare tire so bad it pulled the clearcoat right off. If I can get my camera to work I'll try getting a pic or two.

I noticed there was only about a cup of coolant in it - it is possible a hose ruptured somewhere and the antifreeze coated everything causing this?

This one has me stumped. I have been taking Carmine apart this week and have been noticing this nasty white corrosion on all the metal. I figured with had to be from sitting for so long before I picked her up, so I cleaned her with some Engine Foam and brillo-padded the block down some. Well tonight I went to remove the front end, when I noticed a fresh and healthy batch of the stuff on the valve cover. Its not mold that I can tell, and needs a wire brush to scrape off, but I have never seen just an agressive creature in all my life.

Any Ideas what it could be, or more important what's causing it?

Okay, I gotta ask - how'd you end up here? Not that I mind the company, nor another Mj'er mind ya, some of our most interesting posts have come from far-away'ers. Do you travel this way at all or just hitting very jeep club on google?