Posts by Bonkers

Quote from "wanderlust"

This was in an article about a hydrogen run car. I forget who has it, GM maybe?, but it gets 600 miles to a tank, and ZERO emissions to the atmosphere. Still pretty fast too from what they said.

Other than the instablility of a Hydrogen tank, it looks like we're approching that threashold here real soon. One European company has a bike running off Hydrogen for sale now - does 60mph - I was considering it for my meager summertime commute. It was funny because they had to add a soundtrack because the motor was so quiet. It releases H2O as a byproduct. Ford developeed a road mustang than ran off of pure alcohol. It had about 800hp but the emissions were less than half of its V6 counterpart.

I'd by a hydrogen car if they could make it easy to work on and improve. Otherwise I'm sticking with the dynosaurs...

Sounds to me like someone is trying to create a new world solution. We can begin with nuclear power (even though this has be going on for hundreds of years) - Nuclear power will solve all the worlds energy needs ... until there was an accident. Hybrids will solve all the worlds energy needs.... until they start having accidents. Plastics will solve all the worlds energy needs.... well you get the picture.

My prediciton - next twenty-fifty years the technology based world economy will crack open like a bad egg - the social classes will be so distant that they will segreate themselves - and world powers will be at M.A.D.-level ticked off with each other. OR, technology will merge with humanity and together create an ultra-rigid 'for your own good' society where resources are 95% efficient. Movie goers think Freejack and Demolition Man as perfect examples.

Either way, to me at least, the concern for oil is about 74,144th (or somewhere between Donald Trump getting a new hairdo and the 'save the headlice' campaign in Cali.) in about 100,000 things I worry about.

I have them installed on my Ram and I cannot begin to express my satisfaction with them as a road tire. I had Michelin crappolas on before and with the V10 (500 ft.lbs) it spun tires at every stop when the road was wet. Panic braking was scary at speed and it always felt like the sidewalls were going to collapse around fast corners. The revos however are a world apart - I can take off during a downpour with little fear of loosing it - on dry pavement you have to WANT to spin tires. The road noise was cut by about 80%. Drove non-stop down to Florida last month at 90mph and didn't get an once of complaint from the rubber. My off road experience is limited so far - the track design is aggressive enough to make me believe she'll handle just about any non-trail adventure you can think off.

Point of advice though - make sure you get the revos. Bridgestone has Dueler ATs which sorta look like the Revos in the brochure - but are much less tire. The only way to tell on the tire itself is to look at the tread - it's cone shaped and layered, as you wear down the tread a new tread pattern will form to compensate. There will also be "revo" in about a half inch imprint next to the lettering.

Also once you wear the tread down (which will be a *long* time if you drive half as fast as me - read: or 10mph over the limit-) the new pattern will become more noisy - not bad, but apparent. Small price to pay for the miles of great travel you'll have beforehand.

I can't wait to get a set on Carmine.

Bonkers (diehard bridgestone tire man...)

Quote from "SarasGP"

And Brian - my GP is girl. (I figured Slimer or Keith would have picked up on my poor choice of words before you!) :twisted:

But you live ... um... nevermind... forget I said anything.....

Bonks (Slimer and Keith's minds might be in the gutter, but I own real estate....)

Quote from "SarasGP"

I finally realized that I had to really yank it hard to get it set right.

You might want to be careful there Sara, you could really damage something important by doing that...

You know me... came across a deal I couldn't refuse - at least not without help. This particular deal passed me by so its a moot point already. I'm glad I asked though, a lot of good opinions and ideas from this thread.

Quote from "underDAWG"

Edit: damn you guys typed fast

x2

They’re very reliable without much of pampering. [snip] Therefore, if you can get a set of ARB’s cheap and you can afford them, then why not. However, for a sure thing, a winch may be your best bet.

Exactly why I'm looking at the ARBs, reliable and low-maintenance. Once I get the truck home and figure out a way of hiding it a warn winch will be the future as well, just not likely until next spring.

I am planning on the most capable Mj I can build without doing any permanent, or noticeable modifications (within reason of course - crazy not stupid. :) .)

Well I now work 7 miles from home (as opposed to 107) and I plan on using the truck as my daily driver - even at 14 miles perday 9.2mpg in the Ram is a little painful on the wallet. I will definately be getting a set of Bridgestone AT Revos (I absolutely love them on my ram - 100% performance increase.) I won't say a regearing is out of the question, I just don't see the need for it yet considering 99% of this one's time will be high speed asphault. I am looking real hard at an explorer rear axle (which is a 4.10) for the discs so anything is possible.

I am told the ARBs are hands down the best and I don't half-azz parts, but the bigger question remains is if I could use lockers at all.

Now see I remember seeing swtiched for lockers on someone's rig, but, like I mentioned above, there is nothing on the website about onboard compressors or setups. Do you have to fabricate your own compressor and lines, or is there a kit already made - or is it just plain easier to make your own?

Okay - basic non-extreme off-highway'er question. I have read a lot, but since I never was concerned with this before I didn't absorb all the info. Something came up and now I need to know quick...

This is a very drawn out question, but I'll start with the basics:

So lets say I'm not planning to drive up the dark side of Mt. Kilmanjaro any time soon. Hell, lets just say they there's a good chance I won't even be driving up the dark side of the chicken run in paragon any time soon either. Lifts, 44 M/T's, skids? Not from my piggy bank... However I like rain, and mud, and snow, and rain, and sand, and dirt roads, and rain, and I like taking on the speed bumps at walmart, and don't get me started on the mountain trails of WV, oh, and did I mention rain? - love the stuff.

So (hypothetically) if I came across a set of ARB lockers form my new mj would there be a practical, basic use for them in my pathetic little offroad world? Or would they be just a waste of cash?

Also (and I can look this up so I really don't need an answer) ARBs require a compressor, but the ARB website only offers these tackle-box looking things that seem to require getting out of the truck and crawling under to engage (I'm imagining 8inches of snow and I lose that warm fuzzy feeling at this point.) I though ARBs had an onboard switch to engage on the fly (per say) was I wrong?

Quote from "matty427"

A tip I learned is to wrap a ziploc freezer bag around the filter before you remove it so that all that oil doesnt drain all over your driveway/yard/skid row engine skid.

You can also tap a hole with a screwdriver into the bottom of the filter to drain it before taking it off.

Quote from "joo"

OH, and another questions... My friend always told me to change the oil when the engine is cool....is this true? I know slimer said to warm theengine firsrt....?

Nope luke warm. Cold oil doesn't drain fully and can actually leave more acid behind then remove. On the same note you don't want to drain oil out of a hot motor because the oil is part of the cooling process - exposing heat sensive metal to cold air is never a good thing (maybe that is what you're friend is refering to.)

If you're really anal (like me) warm the motor for a couple of minutes, and let drain for a couple of hours - I managed to drain an extra 1/2 qt from my Ram in the four hours after removing the plug. Then pour a clean quart into the motor, allow flow through, replace plug, replace oil, your off...

Oh, and for those green to this process make sure you saturate the oil filter ring - I can't tell you how many cars I've seen where the person put a dry filter back on and had oil shooting everywhere.

So far I have yet had a dealership win against me in an oil dispute. If you keep your reciepts you have a legitimate case in court.

Also I've had 26 cars in my life - all ran on synthetic - 17 of them broke 200,000 with zero engine breakdowns (other breakdowns yes.) The one engine breakdown occured when I switched to Amsoil.

Get Mobil 1 synthetic at walmart for $19.95 and a Mobil 1 Filter at autozone for $10. Change every 3,000 miles and your jeep, or at least the motor, will last forever.

I trust Mobil, and only Mobil, on the two most expensive motors every put into production vehicles. I do the oil changes myself because I don't trust some 5/hr idiot at Jiffy Lube to do it - and I am justified in that opinion - ask any local dealership or insurance carrier how many engines they replace from those places.

Quote from "Tugboat"

:question: I had no idea were five points was now I know.

To clairfy if it hasn't been already - Heading south into rehoboth, Five points is that big nasty intersection where the new Lowe's sits on the corner.

History lesson - Back in the day it was a star pattern intersection of Rt1, Rt9, and Rt23. The state prepped the intersection and then tried to strong-arm Lowe's into building an overpass in return for Rt1 access, but Lowe's declined and took the Rt23 access they couldn't be refused. Now, because of the DOT gamble, you now have a 'deflatted' overpass intersection that some (myself included) consider one of the most dangerious in the state.

Quote from "omaha"

guilty i dont see how that stretchis hard to see other jeeps or rt 1 for that matter i have never missed one at either.

Last thing the club needs is to be on the front page of the journal with the headline "Another foreigner killed on bike: Jeeper distracted by other jeeps."

Not-guilty, rules are rules.

Tug what is that now your 290th or 295th capture? You're like a freaky jeep version of steve irwin...

"T'day we're searching for the rare but beeautiful Ellendale Jeep Monkey. We've traveled 95 miles just to catch it off guard in its own habitat so it should be a productive day. Crikey, there's a green one, isn't she lovely. We'll just blend into traffic here and wait... Here's the wave... was that a wave back? Don't know, guess we better try again... No response, we did it!!!"

Quote from "1TonTJ"

i know so many people who have been burn'd down there by those guys.

I only know of one. A buddy of mine was driving his 2004 Viper SRT down there and lost control at an intersection hitting a wall. The cops impounded the vehicle and took it to a nearby impound lot where a couple of hours later it was stripped and set fire. He had to pay a fine and two seperate deductables.

Story with pics here:

Graymans Wreck