Posts by Stafford

Had a great time. Rained pretty hard for an hour or so and with the other recent rain there was a pretty decent amount of water. Installed my OME steering stabilizer in the parking lot of the rec center while waiting for some of the guys to get there. One of my friends Victor (black TJ) I think was a little anxious to test out his new snorkel and got stuck in water 3x probably within the first 45 minutes. Stuck it out for a while but limped home early. Soaked his distributor cap, was blowing white smoke out of the exhaust for a while then it turned black. Had an extra distributor cap for him but it was still acting up. Got to what was basically a lake about 100' wide and 40' across and I decided to take one for the team and go first. Got about 15' in and front end just took a nose dive down. It was really, really soft sand which is not the norm in the pines from my experience. Sunk it about midway up the doors. Got pulled out pretty quick and actually running alright. Best part of the day (imho) was when I realized that the nasty squeal I've been having from possibly my fan clutch assembly decided to stop. Dunno what I hit or what it was but I was running better at the end of the day than the beginning which is really weird. :) Clayduster came and busted a brake line an hour or so in. I should have gotten pics of the rig job we did with vice grips and electrical tape. He followed me through back roads most of the way through Jersey on the way home then I had to stop at my parents house so he kept going. Said the brakes were pulling hard to the good side and I didn't see a Jeep sized hole in the bridge guardrail so I'm guessing he made it home ok. :)

I'll get pics up tonight. Haven't taken them off the camera yet.

at least it's only been driven 28k miles on the road so it hasn't been seen by that many people. And I specifically mean "on the road" because I don't think that thing has seen a dirt road.

I dropped the pan today after doing two extractions last weekend and replaced it with the Skyjacker hi-capacity pan. Holds 6 quarts instead of 4. I should have taken pictures of the crap that was in the bottom of the pan. The magnet looked like a chocolate donut there was so much crap on it. The woman's cat's litter box is cleaner, this is after overheating the other weekend and boiling ATF out of the dipstick. After just driving about 2 hours on it, it's seems to be purring pretty good. Might still be a little bit off but a million times better than it was running last weekend. Gonna hold off on the rebuild a little longer but Deltrans it will be when I cross that bridge.

Thats Deltrans. They do good work. I have had 2 transmissions done for older cars there and had no issues. They do alot of racing trans stuff also.

http://www.deltransinc.com/

1081 for a rebuild & 12mo/15k parts/labor warranty....much better. The 1900 All-State was charging was for new (well, another rebuilt besides mine), they also quoted $1700-something to rebuild mine so Deltrans is about $600 cheaper.

Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for places to get my transmission rebuilt or replaced in the Newark/NCC area? Thought I totally trashed it at Rausch Creek the other day but after a flush it's close to normal. Gonna pick up a skyjacker transmission pan for a little extra capacity this week and see how it goes. That being said, I've known for a while now it was on it's way out so if I don't do it now it's probably going to be within 6 months so I'm looking now. So far I've gotten quoted $1900 for a Jasper transmission from All-State on Kirkwood Hwy which is more than I was thinking (probably $1300).

Any recommendations for where to do it done/avoid?

Any other transmissions I should consider? Read some stuff about a guy using a transmission from an 98-01 XJ that gives OD.

Headed up to Wharton on Saturday 4/12 with a bunch of guys from Jersey I know. Probably 5 or 6 rides at least. Some of the details are TBD but we usually get there noon-ish and run till a little after dark. It's not an official DEJA event...anyone is welcome.

Let me know if you are interested and as soon as the details are finalized I will get everything posted.

Went up on Friday (first time - woohoo!) with a bunch of non-DEJA members.

Pics - http://picasaweb.google.com/geoff.stafford/RauschCreek32108

This would be me :) - http://picasaweb.google.com/ge…photo#5180646626267522962

This was on one of the blacks near Rock Creek, not sure what trail we were on. Still trying to figure out exactly what happened. Think the thermostat clogged in the gunk and then I was started running really hot. Redlined everything and couldn't even open the hood. That happened right as I was trying to make the hill climb along the power lines. ATF (yeah, it's an auto) got so hot it boiled over the dipstick, left a nice blood trail along the hill =]. Had to get pulled up the hill and back to the entrance by one of the other guys. Let it cool for a while and I was able to limp home but I think my transmission is shot. Put some fresh ATF in to make up for what was lost and I was able to limp home but it's about toast. Knew I needed a new tranny eventually anyways but this killed it.