Posts by TheDarkSide

for that year you most likely have a Dana 35 or 44. from what i hear the most commen is the d35 which is what i have. have only seen a few with the d44 mosty earlier then mine which yours is. good luck with the project, mine has had its issues but its still worth it.

Finally got my shocks put on. Two brand new holes in the floor latter, I have two brand new shocks in place, and a lot less dirt packed underneath. Thanks for the advice.

I like that kit, looks like a very good idea. Not shore if ill ever do any lifting to this jeep, don't know if it would last long enough to even think about it. But if i go to do another in the future i will diffidently look into that.

thanks for the advice, I would normal think you were crazy for telling me to put to holes in a floor, but after fighting with this bull crap for two days. Two holes in the floor sounds like what this old jeep needs.

Sounds like a plan.

sorry missed the earlier posts about the broken off bolts. is there a way to get a wrench back behind there to put a standard bolt and nut. what bit should i used to drill that bolt out thats my main problem.

I am in need of some advice. My 89 xj is in need of some new rear shocks. When removing the top bults of the shock mout they all broke off clean at the surface. I have tried to drill them out but i cant find a bit hard enuff to drill thought the bolts. I have gone through 2 cobalt bits. one bit broke in half the other has worn the head off and does not do much of anything now and all i have managed to do is put a small divit in one of the bolts. anyone have and ideas to get these stupid bolts out. P.S. yes i used P.B blaster.

I have had two different vehicles do this to me. Both of them the battery was the culprit. When you tested them did you test for amps or volts. Both of my battery's read 14v but when i took the battery to be tested for amps they tested 0 cold cracking amps, replaced battery and haven't had a problem sense. Something to check if you haven't yet. I know it sounds odd but i have heard a lot of the newer battery's are doing it. Both of them you could jump start, But they would run weird the lights would dim and stuff would shut off and turn back on.
    Its worth a try, battery still under warranty.

I shore can. I had it pretty lucky just bad timing. The first trip though the lane It failed all three areas. Safety For a chip in the wind shield, Braking for A non working Right rear break, And emissions. I had some time left on the tag so i drove around a little longer, Putt new brake shoes on the back and bled out the system. I was just about out of time so i went to run it though. while sitting in a one car line It over heated and puked coolent everywhere, Including down onto the starter( already about to die and on its last few starts) So when i go to start it back up after letting it cool down It had other plans. Now with a dead starter and cooling system i was kind of down and i let it sit at a friends house for about a month. Until one day i was ridding past Fitzgerald's auto salvage and decided to check on a starter. $25 latter a had one and was putting it on. As for the cooling system that took a little more money and work. I found that the radiator had become clogged and was just about useless. I replaced it with a 3 core from summit racing, while i was at it replaced the hoses water pump, thermostat, belt, and resivor. now determind and with a 30 day t tag I drove it. I noticed it coming back to life, so with just a few days left on the tag i drove the jeep though and it passed with flying colors. Some how they let the wind shield go, but thats fine with me. now tagged till 2010 I'm happy as can be, And getting almost 18 MPG out of a 89.xj, unless I'm out having fun or on the beach. If anyone has questions about parts i used or anything just ask Ill try to answer to the best. ;)

My bone stock Beat down 89 X Mail Truck 209,000 mile XJ passed inspection. Its about time only took 3 Tries.

Just wanted to share the Happiness because I'm shore most of you have been there!

Thanks For the help whatevah I think i now understand it all a little better.

I still think I may keep this jeep. it is 4x4 and fuel injected. I have grown attached to this one, not to say that i cant become attached to another for the right price. I will probably keep it, do the lift, new tires, some small HP upgrades and have fun, till it says its done. A lot of the stuff i plan to purchase will be able to come off this one and put on the next.
    I took this jeep off road with some friends last Saturday with all that rain. It went through some stuff that i probably shouldn't have, but it was fun. Never got stuck, I was very impressed for its age, and ability.

Thanks for the advice

Hey Thanks
    The next lift i have found on quatratec is the Rubicon Express 3" Super Ride Lift Kit for 84-01 Jeep Cherokee XJ
    It comes with the Rear springs. What is the major draw back of the add a leaf kits. Could i run 31s with the add a leaf or will that be to close. Also with this 3 inch lift will i still be able to run 31s.

First Off I'm new to the site Just Saying hello

I have a 1989 Xj with 208,000 miles. It is not perfect but its fun. The majority of its miles are from being a mail truck. I am stuck between finding a newer jeep to play with or fixing this one. I bought this jeep for $800 as a cheap temp car but i, like most of you have become a jeep fan. I know it wont last forever but i plan to run the engine till it dies, then find a newer jeep and swap it out. I would also like to put on a lift, But since this is also my DD I'm not shore if it is wise. The Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Ride lift from Quadratec seems to be what I'm looking for. I also would like to keep my stock steel rims but put a taller tire on them. I'm not shore how tall of a tire i can and should go, Also how wide i should go. I like to go to the beach and to the mud on the weekends So i need a decent tire, But also not one that will beat the crap out of me on the road. If anyone has some advice please share, or any ideas on some different products.