Posts by deadfeat

Welcome fellow Scrambler owner! Rather than having the same motor rebuilt, I'd reccomend a remanufactured long block. Then it's an weekend job to install and you send your old motor back as a core charge. should be able to get one for like $1200 or so. call around, lots of shops will order you one. The big advantage is that you will get a deacent warrentee. up to 3 years-50,000 miles. Tell us about your rig.

Steve (81 Scram)

Quote from "xjeep"

You have to do both diffs at the same time. Only way around this might be to do the rear and take out the front driveshaft until you can do the front. YOU CAN NOT USE 4-WHEEL DRIVE WITH DIFFERENT GEARS.(Unless your really mad at your jeep then have at it :roll: ) .

Actually you can but with different diameter tires. I saw a truck in a 4wd rag that had 44" rear and 37" front tires. With differnt gears compensating for the tire size. Looked pretty funky. I would reccomend somme sort of locker as long as you are opening things up.

Steve

Quote from "prm99v6"

[

An electric fan that flows enough air to beat the mechanical one is going to draw alot of amps. Thats a heavy load on a standard battery. .

Remember the laws of conservation. Power in= Power out. Electrical power on your Jeep isn't free. The higher the electrical load the higher the back EMF is on the alternator. The Back EMF is the force created by the electrical load on the alt. This a a real and measurable force. So essentially you are shifting the mechanical energy from the fan to the alternator.

That being said, the electric fan will not run all the time, especaily on the highway, but, a clutch fan uses very little energy there as well. I would say you wont gain enough benefit to justify the cost. There are other advantages for electric fans. You can turn them off during water crossings. This prevents fan blades being pulled into the radiator in contact with water. More room to work on engine etc. It's a nice mod, but the power gain will be minimal.

Steve (cant spell. Right Paul?)

Quote from "certk9"

i am going to go with the long arm. I thought about the six inch long arm. wonder if id need the slip yoke for that????

A SYE is always a good idea but with the longer wheelbase, it probably isn't required. the only point I would be concerned about there is that if the rear suspention travel is too great and with a stock drive shaft, you might pull your slip yoke out to far or out when wheeling. SYE + new drive shaft can get pricy.

Steve

I installed the Rusty's 1.75 lift on my wifes 99xj. I did it myself with a few hand and air tools.

Use good jackstands.

Front: Used the rented coil compressor (make sure it uses u-bolts to secrue the copmpressor to the spring) . Use impact wrench to compress. I think i had to unbolt the shocks but that was it. Tight fit to pull them in and out. Make sure you resecure the bottom clamp well and retorque after driving. I also had to grind out the inside diameter of the spacer a little to fit over the post well.

Rear: Longer shackles. very hard to get the bolts out. Use Impact wrench. Had to trim the exhaust pipe a little to clear pass side shackle.

Good lift, clears 30" bfg ats perfect. You might feel a slight vibration at 35mph.

Steve

General rule of thumb for brakes. What you do for the left you do for the right. Dont ever replace one caliper, rotor or pads. I would have the rotors cut and put on new pads at the same time. Heat can cause warpage and burned pads will not work as well.

Steve

2" will be boarderline with 31's. But 30's should fit nicely. Really depends on the tire and its actual diameter. If you plan to do some fender trimming youshould be able to fit them easy.

Steve

I have a Craftsman 6hp 150psi 33gal. I think its rated for 9.5cfm. Horizontal tank. For general home use it's fine. Anything less I would be disapointed.

Pros: Runs any tool. Tank size is adequate for most jobs. Rarely do I have to wait on it. (Sanders, grinders and air gun)

Cons: LOUD. Late nite use in a family development is not a good idea. Horizintal tank collects water and does not drain as well as vertical.

Advice: If you can afford the belt driven oiled type. You would not regret it. They are very quiet. Get a vertical tank at least 30+ gallons. That way the drain cock is at the bottom of the rounded part of the tank and water will drain easy. Don't buy a Coleman or Cambeldfield Hoffsen (sp), I've heard bad things. Check Costco, they have some good deals. Never run a compressor with an extrension cord. Extend with hoses. Buy good hoses with rubber. The other plastic types will crack in cold weather. If yours comes with a yellow coiled plasic hose, throw it out. mine blew up and shattered. Power requiremnts are usually 15amp for the typical home compressor, and it will spike to that. Mine will blow the breaker unless pretty much everything else on the circuit os off. Best to have a dedicated 20amp circuit.

Tools: Get a good impact wrench at least 500ft lbs. Oilers: Oil by hand.
    It's a good idea to get a dryer to remove moisture. Water will tend to really condensate in your high CFM tools like die grinders and sanders. 1/2 drive ratchet, look for a small thumb button to actuate, big triggers can get jambed on between you hand and jeep. Ouch. Get an angle die grinder with lots of acesories, cut offs, sanders. Air hammer, you wont use it much but when you need it, it's a gem

Steve

Quote from "DieselCj"

You can remove your thermostat, and test it, but i wouldn't advise leaving it out. I used to run that way because it made my engine run cooler. Until I learned that the thermostat no only regulates temp, it also regulates the flow. If there is no flow restriction the water may not circulate sufficently in all the hard to reach places in the head/engine. Without a thermostat the water will take the path of least resistance and not always cool everything.

Also important is that the water doesn't spend enough time in the radiator to cool down sufficiently.

Do you still have the fan shroud?
    Theck into the clutch fan. Better yet switch to electric fans and loose the belt drive fan all together. You may want to install a new water pump and t-stat depending on the age.

I have heard of hoses colapsing and restricting water flow. I assume you have kept adding coolent eliminating points of cavitation where air might restrict flow. Did you keep burping the cap?

Steve

Saw a certian Deja Member on Kirkwood highway today around 4pm. Looked like this certian Member ever-so slightly tapped the rear of the car in front of him. The nice policeman was writing something down, must have been a thank you note, for such a nice smile.

Hmmm, it was a lifted TJ, ... Light Blue... DEJA Windshied Sticker,... Several trail badges.... Hmmm who could it be.... Wander who it was???

Steve (Never Gossips)

I am sorry I couldn't make it but I needed to stay local. The wife is getting pretty close. We have a c-section schedualed for the 11th. The babies are a little over 6 lbs each at 36 weeks and are very active little suckers! Thanks to Keith who took care of the tradition, it looks like fun was had by all!
    This is my wife during last nights Blue Rocks Game.

Steve