Posts by XJ99

well hypothetically there will be 4 bolts that hold It to the axle pinion side and 4 bolts that hold It to the transfer case....unbolt the 8 bolts total and you'll have a driveshaft in your hand.

Yea I think Brians right, mine was maybe broke? I bought It new, and there was a switch thing on It that looked like It should have slid up and down but It wouldnt budge and I didnt want to break the plastic lever, we are still talking cheap china products....maybe I was Just weak...anyways It was the M9000...I could however use the control to have It unwind but that took a million years especially If the Jeep was a full 80-100' of the cable out.

I'd venture to say that my winch has been used for "occasional heavy use". Otherwise I'd be using a strap instead.

I'd definatley agree your winch has been used for heavy use...with our winches combined we couldnt pull michael with the XJ out of the mud/Ice pit at paragon.

My milemarker I had was fine, I used It hard most of the times I used It....I pulled several vehicles out of mud pits that were stuck with no one behind the wheel to help....only complaint was It didnt have free spool and It's about 2-3x's slower then a Warn. But I only paid like $350 shipped for my M9000.

I did the same hole before with my XJ...I feel your pain

best I can say is change your fluids, axles, transfer case, transmission and such....dry everything out. Check your brakes, that was my biggest problem I had mud caked up for weeks stuck in my drums and rotors that was nearly Impossible to get out. Also If Its still running rough check your TPS sensor up on the throttle body, Its notourious for geting wet and screwing things up. I'm sure you wont be doing that again....hehe...I cant remember If anyones ever made It through there? Its like a bottomless pit of mud and I had some crazy aggressive swampers and was locked front at the time.

no I dont think they are. Thats what Im saying there are so many people out there who wheel their Junk and It's so street Illegal Its not even funny. But what about flat towing, do I need Insurance and tags or am I good?

thanks for the Info. I called a local alstate agent, they basically said they have another company under them that may entertain my use of the vehicle but he doesnt think many companys are going to like the off-road usage. He said since the XJ wont be considered a classic vehicle Its a bit different then yours but hes gonna get back to me seeing what he can do.

thats what Im looking for. Who's you Insurer....I'm ok with 200 a year, but not 100 a month for something I'm not driving.

When I talked to statefarm I told them the overall purpose of the vehicle, she said sounds like a sport vehicle, she went a checked and then told me they cant Insure an off-road vehicle. Though they have alot of people with porsches and such that race them on the track, she said thats considered a sport vehicle.

We are not a law enforcement agency, if you do not have what your State requires you ride at your own risk.

that part is surely confusing....sounds like their saying they dont check but your responsible If something happens. I'v gota believe theres alot of people taking their "Junk" Jeeps up there and they aint Insured. Not saying thats right and I certainly dont want to break any rules but I can't understand paying for a whole nother vehicle I wont be driving. Regardless thanks for the official wordings Chris. Much to consider.

I called a local state farm agent to ask some questions and they said I could transfer the title using a U-registration where the Jeep is unregistered for the road but the title would still be in my name. They also then said that I am able to flat tow the Jeep to the off-road parks and If anything were to happen the truck trailering that has liability would be responsible. So Im guessing their saying I would not need Insurance to trailer It up to Paragon or RC. So do I need Insurance to take It in the park?

Also are there any rules as to where an unregistered vehicle has to be stored?

First question is, to flat tow a Jeep does It need to be registered and Insured? I'd like to buy a trail only Jeep that wont be driven on the street so Im curious about that? Im pretty sure the local parks have some rules about having some kind of Insurance but Im not sure? What are you guys and gals doing with like 5 cars that never drive your Jeep on the road, Its gota be a waste to cover another vehicle your never driving?

Second, If the first option is not possible, Does anyone know of any companys that offer a Recreational Vehicle coverage thats extremley cheap? Like $500 a year? :razz: :spinrhead: ......Possibly considering a trail Jeep only but will need Insurance to take It in the parks and to transfer titles at the DMV? Any thoughts on this, The DMV requires Insurance still to put the title in my name right? Thanks!

speaking of Insurance, but on a totally diferent side of the coin. Does anyone know of any companys that offer a Recreational Vehicle coverage thats extremley cheap? Like $500 a year? :rollsmile:......Possibly considering a trail Jeep only but will need Insurance to take It in the parks and to transfer titles at the DMV? Any thoughts on this?

No problem. You pry wont need one but their always nice to have. I dont have one, I Just had access to my friends fathers shop who had everything I could ever want (a plug: I think hes renting out some shop space on appleton rd with a post type Lift and huge air tank....Its a huge space so Im sure Its not cheap). But yea you should be able to get the coil out in the fashion you said. Unbolt shocks 1st, 2nd sway bar links...give It a shot in the Jacking one side up and hoping coil comes out....If not your gonna have to drop the track bar (axle mount side) which may or may not cause you to have to have an alignment..If you cant get the coil out with the trackbar dropped then dont waste anymore time, go get the compressor, not worth unbolting rusted control arms.

What tools you using? Gota love having access to a top quality spring compressor and air tools...I'v changed out the front coils in my XJ in about 20 mins :razz:

It looks like you've got 3-4 people to help out which should be plenty for that simple of a Lift, If anyone backs out and you need a hand my numbers in the members sections still I believe? If not pm me. Dont hesitate to gimme a ring I can swing by.

Is that the one they call gregs tank trap or something? I wanna say trail 2 but could be way way off...that hole had me sunken mid headlights with my XJ

I actually loved pep boys service today! Went and bought 4 cans of dupcolor black for wheels that was priced at 6.99 a can. Plus bought 1 can of Primer that was priced at $2.49. Guess whoever rung It up thought I bought 5 cans of primer and rang them all up at $2.49 each.....now thats a deal....gota love pepboys! :razz: