Posts by cdlongjr

I attempted to remove the sport bar from my 87 YJ yesterday so I could install the family roll bar. Most of the mounting bolts striped out. Rather than grinding the heads off the bolts and trying to drill them out, I'm thinking of having the family roll bar cut and welded into the sport bar. Any one recommend an individual or welding shop?

Sounds good Glen. Let me know, CD 302-690-9046 Grandsons have ball games the 25th and 28th. Other than that, I'll be home. 2 Solo Court, Newark, De 19713, in case you don't remember where ya picked Santa up.
    Thanks a million.

I noticed the folowing last night: left the ball park and was driving down the street, turned lights on, no squeal. Stopped at red light, voltage dropped to 8 and squealing started. Turned lights off, no squeal. Took off from red light, voltage back up to 14, turned lights on, no squeal. Stopped to make left turn, squeal. Turned lights off, made turn, turned lights on, no squeal. slowed down for speed bump, squeal, got over speed bump, accelerated, no squeal. Without the lights on, sometimes I have a squeal @ idle and sometimes I don't. When I do have a squeal @ idle with the lights off, the squeal is gone as soon as I accelerate.
    The voltage gauge also swings back and forth to the discharge side when the turn signals are on and lights are off.
    Any ideas?

I'm at wits end. My alternator pulley is cocked in towards the engine. I have tried several mounts, but nothing has helped. I even elongated the hole in the rear of the mount to straighten the alt, but that didn't work. Unfortunately, my mechanic was involved in a very serious motorcycle accident so I need someone to take a look and see if they can pick up on something I have overlooked. The belt squeeling is so bad I can't drive her @ night w/ the lights on. I keep tightening the belt and it keeps getting loose. I may have the wrong mount as the 4.2 engine has a smaller oil filter than my old 4.2 had. Maybe the engine is newer?
    cdlongjr@msn.com CD 302-690-9046

I forgot to mention I could only get 1 snap to connect on each side above the door. Those 2 were being pulled enough that I thought they would break or the top would rip. Even with the rear bow forward, I don't think the top could have been pulled enough to fit. Rear bow would have probably bent. Both articles very helpful. Thanks a million!

I had purchased a factory soft top, hardware and upper sliders for my 87. The hardware was missing pieces, most of which I have found except the tailgate bar, (the bar I have is curved down on both ends like the windshield channel). I tried to install the soft top Saturday and there's no way it'll fit, seems like it shrunk. The PO told me he cleaned the top and I think he used a hot water pressure washer or a steam cleaner. material seems to be fused together. There are streaks on the underside and in places the top is very stiff. So stiff, I wouldn't fold it for fear it would crack and split. Anyhow, I have been looking for a replacement top, (don't want to buy the hardware if I don't haver to), but most replacement tops and go from 86 to 88. Is there something different about the 87s? I don't want to waste more money on the YJ. In enough hot water as it is!
    Thanks