Posts by elff

Very Cool Keith!!!!

One thing to note, when buying the parts yourselves, make sure you get

Shifter Housing and not Brake Housing.

The housing is the black tube that the cable slides through. Both types of housing have metal on the inside. The brake housing has the metal in a spiral fashion and it causes binding. In shifter housing, the metal lining is lengthwise and provides for a very smooth operation of the hand throttle which is what you want.

I went with a pistol grip style. I have to give alot of the credit for this idea to my Buddy Jim who drives the white TJ in a lot of our wheeling pics.

He made a hand throttle using a BMX brake, instead of a shift lever, and made a custom handle. Because I have a very unique shifter, I decided to mount the bmx brake upside down on my shifter. I ran the shifter cable through the shift boot and through the rubber grommet above the gas pedal. I then stripped off a significant amount of the cable cover, drilled a small hole through the bracket that the gas pedal and cruise control cables pass through and looped it around the side which has the cruise control and used 2 wire fasteners do hickey to secure the loop. I used 2 incase one slipped. Overboard, but worth it. The level of control on the gas is extremely nice
    Here are some pics

Top view of wire clamps

dead on pic

Brake lever on shifter

In case you are wondering, the shifter is African Blackwood and was made by a person on JU.