Posts by elff

How did that happen with the trans mounted?

Let me try and explain that better.
    I started hearing a noise that sounded similar to gear lash. Initially I thought it my Ring and Pinion in the front Axle. I knew I was leaking oil from the inner axle seals. So I topped that off and it didn't seem to help.
    I then had the wife drive the Jeep while I walked beside it. The sound definitely was coming from the Bell housing area and from inside the jeep, it sounded like it was directly below the shifters on the Atlas.

At that point I had done what I could and the jeep just sat for a while as I had hip FAO surgery to repair FAI. When I got my tax refund, I asked my wife to bring the jeep over to a mechanic that Billy Knox and I both use in WC.
    They isolated the noise down to the bell housing area and said they would have to pull everything apart to see what was going on. When they removed the trans, the pilot bearing fell out. It was probably just sliding up and down the shaft freely and just slid off.

Hope that explains it better

My pilot bearing decided to jump off the shaft. While everything was apart to repair that i replaced the clutch. 100,000 miles on original equipment ain't too bad.
    Also replaced the leaking original inner axle seals and installed a new set of serviceable outer axle seals from Alloy.
    Since the tie rod had to be removed to open the diff, I'm having a computer alignment done on the front.
    It really blows me away how reliable this jeep has been considering the abuse its taken. Hoping to drive it by June.

Anyone ever see a TRE fail like this? The Bolt that goes through the knuckle just snapped????
    Fortunately this happened as I was parking. I had just finished a 4hr drive.

The fawked up part is I had to buy the entire steering system as they don't just sell the TRE. We went to 7 different places and 3 dodge dealerships. No one could locate a TRE that matched the broken one. It's 11" long and the threads have a diameter of 1 3/8". The parts for my VIN kept coming up with a 6" long TRE with a thread diameter of 1 1/8". The final dealership realized that the steering was changed over to the following. They had some weird superseded codes in their part database. Apparently the original steering had a TSB and was replaced with the following

If I wasn't out of state, I would have taken everything over to Zach and had him make an adapter sleeve so I could use a TRE that I can buy anywhere. The dealer cut me a break on price, so instead of paying $350 plus tax, I got it for $279 with tax. I just had to wait until they got one in. Made me stay a couple of extra days in MD and burn a vacation day but I had to do what I had to do so I could get home.

Anywho, here is the new steering all installed. Getting the TRE off the pitman arm required a crapload of heat and a BFH

I've already been really mean to mine. The Way Clayton integrates the engine skid into it, helps a ton. The only thing that sucks is the counter sunk Allen head bolts, but there really is no other option.
    Allen heads just always seem to strip out eventually

Biilly

I have had no issues with mine yet. With how many bolts hold it, the thickness of the steel, and the fact that you will be sliding more than bashing, I think it's going to be a long while if not forever before this becomes an issue.

Bill, can you lose the windshield and wear a helmet? When the red jeep was tagged I used to drive it for a mile or so to work with my motorcycle helmet on and no windshield. Not sure if that was technically legal or not but I did it for a few months and even drove past cops who never did anything.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but thats not really what happened. You weren't actually driving the jeep.
    You were riding in the back of a short yellow bus and that's not a motorcycle helmet.
    Sorry dude
    But your story does sound cool

:)
    FYI [Not related to this thread in any way]
    Anxious you need to read about this [url=http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,8493.0.html]Kappa Event[/url]

Billy
    It's all about the definition of the part on the jeep. Rubicon's came with 4" flares and if interpreted as such, would have been illegal to sell immediately.
    As such, I believe a good bit or wordsmithing allows that to mean we can have a total of 7" of flare.