Posts by BetterInTheSand

So I've always been a square headlight, box driving, Cherokee loving jeep guy. Have owned three and only been driving 12 years. Looking to make the switch to a "real" jeep. Found a 2000 wrangler, 4.0 manual with 185k on the clock. Tagged, newer tires, minimal rust, some surface rust on the frame and a hard top. Being a Cherokee guy don't know what to look out for wheb looking to purchase or what a good deal would be. Asking price on the 2000 is 5k. No lift running 31s. Thoughts?

Picked up a 2000 Cherokee sport with the intentions of making it a trail rig and beach rig. Haven't had the time to do the work and have decided to sell. It wasn't running when I bought it. Has 219k miles. Changed the alternator and now it's runs. Needs brakes and headliner either removed or replaced. Probably be better used for parts unless someone wants to put more time into it. In my personal opinion seems as if the head gasket is going bad. Has new thermostat and water pump. Radiators been flushed and oils been changed. Hasn't been out of the garage except to drive two miles to the gas station. Brand new battery. The girlfriend wants a "real jeep". She may be included in sale for right price. $1100 obo. Just trying to gain my garage back to get other projects done for summer.

looks like she's biting the dust more and more each day. worked on it today. changed thermostat and pump and sending unit. ran about 210. heat wouldn't get hot. seems like heater core is done and now the oil pressure is falling. goes up to 40then drops to 20 and right back up to 40. just keeps going back and forth.

All gauges read fine. Going to crawl underneath tonight to check wiring and make sure no oil is leaking like mentioned earlier. All fuses are good last I checked because I had a headlight issue and checked all when I was figuring that out. Going to check back over them tonight to make sure they aren't over amped. Hopefully this thing will act right soon.

The smells almost seems electrical. if you pop the hood then start the jeep and let it run you don't notice it for a while unless your at the right angle. coolant has looked fine and so has the oil yet I haven't let it run long being there is an issue. I pulled it out of the garage to clean the engine and make sure nothing was sitting there burning off and put it back. don't want to run it and have it damage anything more or catch fire. going to check the thermostat this weekend. hasn't thrown any codes. everything seems to run as it should except for the smoking and shifty breaks since I haven't replaced them yet. the smoke starts out almost under the engine closer to the windshield then assume it runs works it way closer to the front near the grill. I dropped a little water near one of the fuel injectors yesterday and it boiled with how hot it was under the hood. starting to think imore gonna be in to deep on this project

Been working on fixing up a stock 2000 cherokee. Picked it up for cheap. Wasn't running and had. even sitting for a while. Threw in a new alternator and new serpentine belt, flushed radiator, changed oil, new battery and cleaned out all the leaves and birds nests from under the hood. Interior is another story. Starts up and runs but having an issue somewhere. Runs great cold but as it warms up engine smokes. Smells almost as if something is burning under the hood. If you put your hand near the engine it feels real hot but it's running around 210 on the gauge nothing more. When I changed the oil it was under 6 qts and dark. Coolant looked like it hadn't been done in a while and was almost brown. Not sure where to go next or what to do as far as getting it on the road. Bought it to use as a second vehicle and beach rig/ trail rig but it's been a garage queen for weeks. Any Ideas? I can figure things out with guidance but by no means am I a mechanic. :doh:

All good now. Looked a little silly but used the handle bars off the daughters tricycle to get the leverage. Broke loose fairly easily. Must have been the sparkling streamers.

Picked up a new to me Cherokee this past week. My own Christmas gift. Working on changing the alternator so I can get it thru inspection. The bottom bolt is giving me a hell of a time trying to get it out. Any ideas? Remove the fan? Only have two knuckles left to bust.

Looking for a matching set of 285 70 17s or something close to it to make it through the next few months. Have some work to do before buying a brand new set. Let me know what you have and a price.