Posts by Stomper

Ok folks here is an updated list of the people that are still coming. Not sure who is staying were. I should be there around 8-8:30 with Buster Stewart. If there are any changes or I missed somebody post up. See you there. Keith

Sahara54 - From Dover
    Shandyluke - Hotel
    KnoxRents
    EMS 34 20 - Camping
    Buster Stewart
    Opie - Hotel
    Daddanelena
    Stomper
    Slowpoke

If you have the original 2 peice axles the outer seal can be replaced by taking the drive flange off of the axle. This is also the way the bearing needs to go on, it is pressed from the front not the back. When you reassembly the drive flange/hub make sure its torqued to specs and then recheck it after about 50 miles. If you dont you may end up spining the hub and ruining the shaft and hub. Send me a pm if you have any questions. I just upgraded to one peice axles because of that problem. Keith

I just changed mine (80 CJ7)to the empi clone. I left the return line in use and put the regulator between the filter and the carb. Make sure you follow the set up instructions that came with the unit. This carb is kinda of tricky to set up but once done it will be ok. I still have the mechanical fuel pump and I find I'm having a problem with it when the 2nd stage kicks in, I will have to change to a high flow mech. or electric. The carb seems starved for fuel when the 2nd stage kicks in. My fuel pressure is down to about 1psi at that point. Ideling it will be around 5 with out the regulator but still drops down under exceleration. Good luck

it may have some issues with the fuel you dont know how long it sat sinc it was run last. Are you looking for a project or another DD. If you want a project get him down to 3 g and buy it otherwise walk away.
    Keith

ok i'll put my 2 cents in the pot. I currently use an f350 crewcab dually as my tow truck and DD. it is a deisel and a pain in the ass. the fuel cost more and is harder to find. I have towed trailers with everything from my cj7 (not a good idea) s10 blazer, safari van and a couple of 1/2 ton trucks including an 82 toyota. You should be fine with the half ton for your jeep and about a 16ft trailer. stay with the 5.4 or bigger and look for at least 3.73 rears 4.10 would be better but not needed. if you are only going to use it on weekends look for a good used truck equiped with what you want in it. you should be good to around 8-10 k dempending on manufacture. Good luck

The shifter is a good clue for the sr4. it will most likely be a narrow track axel. 2 big clues to look for are the front hub bolt pattern. 6 bolts will be a narrow track and 5 would be a wide track. Also look at the rear axel and the tires distance from the frame rails. Better yet look at the distance between the spring mounts and the back of the brake plate. That measurement should be 3 inches any thing moore (closer to 41/2 ) would be a wide track. As a note the sr4 and wide track axels didn't show up till 82 production runs started chances are you will have the t18 with dana 300 tcase and narrow track axels. 2 big areas to look for problems inside frame rails between gas tank and frame. And the frame mounts under the seat closest to the rear tires. not to mention the body itself. take a magnet and check for bondo in those areas even a just fixed body won't last long. 65k is low milage for an 81. also i think the price is a littel high with a steel body if the hard top and doors are included and are in good shape it would be worth the price. Keith

Spedly is right on the money. It wont stop you from destroying them but they will be feed a lot better and may even be brighter. If you need more help just give EMS 3420 a call he is a wizz at that stuff.
    :feedtroll:

You may have some other issues going on its hard to tell from the post. Most stuff is leak dector not stop. Its possiable to have air or even moisture in the system from the leak ( if the system was completly empty and running in a vacum). This will play all kinds of havoc in the sytem from freeze ups in the lines to non condensable in the coils. Sorta like junk food, fills it up but is not good for it. How far from the Pa state line are you. Maybe we can get together.