Posts by Stomper

Chief sent you an e-mail. Most compressors will shut off when the pressure falls below 20Lbs on the suction side (the side your fill a can was on). That is why the unit is cycling off and on. Keith is corect there are no hose clamps on the a/c system. Most condenser coils are mounted ahead of all the other stuff in the radiator area. Typical stack would be A/C, Ps cooler then radiator. Most automatic trans cooler are built into the radiator core. The line with the hoseclamp is most liklely for the power steering as it is usualy on the return line with lower pressure. If you can get a nitogen tank and regulator you can pressureize the system to about 175-200lbs and may be able to hear the leak. If its in one of the coils (condensor or evapator under dash) it will be harder if not impossable to find. Sorry for the spelling the spell checker dosent work for me.
    Keith

I have a powertrax in the rear of my CJ it runs great and I have had no problems with it. You will need to adjust your driving a littel as the rear tends to want to slide out in slick conditions. There is much debate about were to put one locker in the front or rear. Like the other guys said scrap the rear you have and get something that will hold up. Stomper

You will usually find the leak on the the connection to the compressor. The have o rings installed there and they go bad with age. If whatever used the dyed refegerant you will see a green or red color near the leak, possiable all over the compresser area. Also look for oil leaks near the compresser and all the line connection points. The 134a refegerant will react with the aluminium of the compressor shell so look for some aged areas around there. Good luck I live to far from Dover to help but am willing to give as much advise as I can. Send me a PM or e-mail if you want to chat on the phone. Keith

Nice pictures Jk. Well I did make it home with Buster Stewart babysitting me most of the way. :hug: I finished my damage assement tonight and well most of the 30 year old parts got trashed. I had to tighten all of the steering gear box bolts as well as the pitman arm nut. :bang: Keith C had another thread about post ride checks if I had done a better job of that my ride home would have been a lot nicer (insert white knuckles and bad words :censored: ). I will need a new tie rod and stearing stabilizer. I spun a rear hub and trashed the axel, I think it happened after we went across rock creek and in that purpel trail were I pulled Matt. Radiator mounts are shot again so this time it will be getting replaced instead of fixed. All in all it was a great day and all the stuff that got trashed (except the bumber and fender) were do to get replaced and upgraded. I will be up and running intime for the topless for tatas run and hope to see some of you there.
    Stomper

Had a great day the CJ performed like a champ with some minor damage. :upset: Thanks to everyone for a great time and yes I made it home. Ran some easier trails in the morning with John getting stuck right at the begining. :shrug: Followed by Brandan. It was a day for winch work and all sorts of recovery stuff. We even learned how to use rocks as winch points. ( Yes John you won the bet on the rock) All of my damage happened on cemetary ridge trail ( BLACK !!!) Ran some other eaiser stuff (yea right Randy) :doh: that ended up in a blue black trail. Almost lost my radiator on more then one ocasion. Well it was a great day now to order some new parts including a fender hopefully one that is tree proof. See you all in August.
    Stomper

you can remove the clip by pushing down on the cover plate its a real B$%^^$ with out the compresion tool. Once in there its not to bad you will have to fish some wire in the sterring column. I just did my 85 CJ and its not much different then yours. Good Luck

Ok folks the Jeep passed inspection and I will be there on Saturday. I wont be camping and I should be there around 8ish in the morining. This is the first trip out with the rebuilt rig. I would like to start with some greens and blues in the early morining just to make sure everything is going to flex and stay were it belongs and then I'm up for some blues and blacks. I cant wait this project took 8 months to complete and years to gather parts and money. Thanks to Buster Stewart and EMS 3420 ( Tim and Percy) for their help with wrenching and labor. See you all on Saturday.

Stomper

Rockpirate if i understand correctly the clutch does fully engage when your foot is off the petal. You can shift from 2nd thru 5th with no clutch while it is already moving. The clutch relases at about a quater of the pedal travel. I assume there is no chatter or smell from the clutch when it engages and you dont notice any slipping.
    Ok here goes the explanation centerforce uses weights on the presure plate to increase the grab on the clutch disk. Because of the weights they have a lower plate pressure at ideal then stock. When new it feels very light and will release faster (sooner on pedal) then the old clutch set up. As it wears it will take a littel more travel to disengage it. As for the shifting in gears you can hit the right RPM to speed ratio and upshift but you may not be able to downshift this is normal and not to uncommon as mentioned I wouldnt recomend doing this a lot. So long as there is no clutch chatter or slippage I would say the install is ok, typically if the plate was put in backwards you cant disengage the clutch at all ( its pressed up tight to the pressure plate). I will send you a PM with my phone number give me a call if you have more questions. I also have a CF in my CJ and love it.

It sounds like his install was bad. I have no extra noise with mine. And I agree with your dad it will probable be the last clutch I buy. I have pulled cars,trucks,trailers and trees until the transmission grenaded. Still got my same clutch thru it all.

I have a center force clutch in my CJ with manual (no Hydro Clutch) pedal!!! I have had no problems with it and it has been in for about 10 years. Yes the pedal is a littel stiffer but you probably wont notice that. It will lock up quicker then stock and you will need to get use to that feeling and timing. As far as resurfacing the flywheel unless you ground the rivets into the face just sand it down and keeping on going. Keith

I have 2 American Bulldogs that love to ride. I own a Cj and what I did was put an eye bolt thru the floor just in front of the rear deck riser, right behind the console. I use short leashes with swivel snaps on both ends and yes I use the harness on the dogs. They can walk from end to end but not enough leash to get out and they love it. One of the dogs did jump from my Pick up window while doing 35 down the road. After a $450 vet bill I decided it was time to strap them in. The whole set up cost me about $60 bucks for both dogs. Good Luck

P.S. If you take them on trail rides make sure the roll bar is padded they will thank you for that.

Keith

Ok guys this string got out of hand ( a littel Bit). I gota say it had me laughing in the end. Yes we are all Jeepers and this is a great group of people to run with and Ice Man does need to chill out. Peace

Ice man I towed a small pop up and a small full size with my Cj. You can find a lot of nice popup campers in the range you want. Another option would be a hi lo camper they are light enough to be ok and slightly better then a popup. You can pull up to a 22ft full size but you better pack paper and have a large pucker factor!!!! Just ask EMS 3420 he knows what I pulled. Stomper