Posts by howardlt

So, looks like we may be on the lookout for a new rig, and the wife wants to replace the minivan with a JKU. I just need to know that I'm in the right price range and am open to any recommendations if someone out there knows of any for sale. Couple things...

we don't buy new. We let someone else take that hit. So, right now, we're looking at used car dealerships.
    We will be trading in the van...but don't expect much for it considering it's on its last legs.
    We will also have a nice down payment, so I can finance a little extra on top.

Right now, I'm thinking I should be spending around 22-25K for a stock JKU with normal mileage. Does that sound about right? All suggestions welcome.

I might be interested also. Of course, I also have to check with the spouse hammer. For me, I'm in it to learn. I had a wrench fest a couple years ago and DEJA folks were nice enough to help out....but I still feel shaky rolling solo on it. Since then, I totaled that jeep, and bought a new one. I have a 2 inch kit now, and need to relearn. I'll let you know....depends if she's working.

I may take that center console off you. But i won't be back in DE for over a month. Any chance of a pic? I need to do a bit of a color match.

Well, I lost out on the JKU. Turns out it had already been sold. So, I ended up with a 05 TJ with 65k miles on it. Now to start all over again since everything is stock. I'm thinking of starting with the 4 inch lift from Q-tec, and going from there. Thanks for the advice all. I'll post some shots if i can later on.

Lol... I appreciate that Jeff, but the reason I'm looking is because I totalled my Jeep on the drive to San Antonio for military training. So....here I sit driving my brothers car with no ride home. I have about a month to get a new one before I have to be on the road back to de. The one they are selling was initially listed for just over 16k. Does that sound about right?

OK, so I'm in the market for a new jeep, and a couple options are presenting themselves....but I don't know which way to go, so i need some advice. I like to go wheeling, and I like the standard transmission...which leads to the TJ. But, I also would like to hit the beach and go camping with the wife, two kids, and a dog. Which leads to the JK unlimited. I'd like a bit of a rock Crawler.......bumpers, lift, winch, etc.....but I don't know if the Jk is suited for that. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Glad everyone was OK.

Not to poo-poo on the Jeep thing, but if you had been in something with a lower COG, it's doubtful you have rolled.

I suppose that's a possibility. But i was moving pretty quick, and she nailed me dead in the side. I should also mention, although I only had a 2 inch lift, and a set of 31s, I was using 2 inch wheel spacers. Not that I needed the backspace, but i just liked the way it looked. I did notice significantly more stability when i did that. Not that any size spacer would have stopped it, but for those folks with wind issues, it certainly helped me.

Anyway, the Jeep is indeed totaled, and I'm in the market for a new one. I happened to find the exact same model in Dallas.... 67k miles on it, with everything stock and a 2 inch lift. They want 16k for it. Considering it. Tried to talk them to 13 but they didn't bite.

Lol...well, I didn't follow proper procedures. I got out engine running, and hugged the enemy. She was an old lady and shaken up thinking she probably killed me. She was sweet, but scared. I'll post pics if I get a chance. But you can't see the damage underneath. Busted the drive shaft from the front. Bent axles, busted shocks......thanks for the well wishes all, but I'm fine...not a scratch. I only drive jeeps now.

So, I have to attend another military school in San Antonio Texas. I figured I would take the Jeep and try to have some fun while I was there. I drove to Knoxville, TN the first day. Jackson, Ms the next day, and the third day, it all went wrong. I had been driving for 6 hours with 4 to go. It was about 1pm. As i head down the 4 lane hwy (2 a side), I come up on a 2 way stop for those who want to cross the highway. I'm doing 70 in the slow lane...that's the speed limit. There is a grand marquise waiting at the stop sign for me to pass...at least that's what I thought.... As I get closer she starts to pull out...I hit the brakes but realize its too late, and I'll plow right into her....so I swerve in front of her to avoid as much as possible, and hope she stops. She doesnt. She t-bones me just behind the passenger side fender. The car lurched to the left and was finally overcome by the speed and began to roll. I rolled 3 times before it stopped. Amazingly, I don't have a scratch. Neither does she. I attribute it to the roll bar, and the seatbelt. But my beautiful jeep didn't make out so well. I think she's totaled, but the adjuster hasn't called yet. Looks like I may be in the market for a new one.

I've actually been considering smoked headlight covers for the headlights on my black car, but wasn't sure how well you would be able to see the headlights, or if it would be legal. Anyone have experience with this?

Kuntry, I probably do know him. I know of two Jeeps that fit that description on base though. Is your cousin Dan? If so, I sent him all this info on Thursday. Not sure if he replied though.
    Opie

I would definetly be interested. I work at the Air Guard base in New Castle by the airport. And I live in Dover. So it would be like driving home. I also have a number of other Jeep owners that work on the base with me. I'll see if any others are interested.

Opie

So I was looking at ways to save some money on my DD. One of the options seems to be a hydrogen electrolyser or HHO. I've never installed one, but I got to wondering if it might be worth fitting on a Jeep, if for no other reason than to get to RC cheaper. Anyone ever try these things?

Opie

So, now that my life is calming down a little, I'm hoping I can be more involved. One thing I thought I would mention is the new Auto hobby shop on Dover AFB. Any valid military or dependent ID Card holder is eligible to use it, and I know we have a few. For those that aren't authorized, you can accompanny someone who is. There is an 8 bay garage with all the tools, professional lifts, welding shop, and more. There are on site mechanics for advice and they do some minor maintenance for a fee. The bays are $4/hour and the lifts are $6/hour. It's open on Saturdays and most weekdays until 5pm. I'd be happy to take some folks on if a Jeep needs some upgrades or repairs (may have to let me do the driving onto the base). I figure you get the benefit of the garage and tools, I get the benefit of learning more about Jeeps. Thought I'd mention.
    Opie

ok, so my house is on a hill....good for drainage, bad for parking. Normally, I park the Jeep in the garage which is flat. Today, I had to run in the house for a second and parked it on the driveway, which is on a 45 degree angle (ish). I left it in 1st gear (it's a 6 spd), with the hand brake on. I thought I felt it lurch, so I got out and watched it for a minute. Sure enough, after a couple minutes, it rolled back about a half inch and then stopped again. I know the hand brake won't hold it at that angle, but seeing as how it was in gear, it shouldn't be rolling like that, should it? Thoughts?
    Opie