Posts by howardlt

ok, so I'm trying this again under a new topic since the last one was about diagnosing a problem, this one is about fixing it. I got the new switch and am trying to swap it out. I can't get the old one out of the housing. I have the manual and it says I should be able to turn it counterclockwise and pull it out. But the diagram looks nothing like the switch itself, and turning the darn thing is impossible. Has anyone done this before? I've been driving without brake lights for a while. Fortunately, I got another car as my DD (for MPG purposes), so this won't see as much use, but I'd like to get it taken care of so I can take it out camping, wheeling, etc...

Opie

yeah, I've got that and I'm trying. But the FSM makes it sounds much easier than it is. Rotating that thing is tough. Can't get my hands in there and you need a crapload of leverage. Is there a special tool I'm missing?

ok, so...I was right about this being cheap....but the easy part is proving to be false. how the hell do you turn this damn switch?? I can't get it to rotate so I can get it out of the assembly. Brake pedal is pressed, but man this thing is stuck in there good. And this is not an easy place to get leverage in. Little help?

Opie

So I've got a bit of a problem lately where my brake lights have completely stopped working. Anyone know of any common fail points in a 06 TJ for the electrical? I'll climb in there this weekend to check it out, just thought I'd check if anyone knew of any common issues or places I should start looking first.

Opie

Damn, I really want to go to this, but it's my only day with the family before I leave for 2 weeks on Sunday. I might pop by for a bit in the morning to learn as much as I can. Probably won't stick around long though.

Opie

Yes...thanks all. I learned a lot my first lift. And I'm more than happy to go out and do the same for anyone else that wants to work on their Jeep. I'd like to go just to learn all the ins and outs. In the meantime, I have some serious tool hoarding to do. Thanks again to those who came out. Next time, maybe we'll do it a little later so I can get rid of all this beer...lol.

Opie

Well, it looks like the concensus is that earlier is better so 0900 it is. I'll have the beer cold and the coffee hot. I'll also have a few pizzas delivered for lunch. The garage is not heated, however I do have a space heater that should help. The garage is also connected to the house, not stand alone, so it shouldn't be quite as cold as outside. The driveway will have a green minivan in it. That's how you'll know you're at the right place.

Opie

Do you have a floor jack and jack stands? You will need those.

nope, but if I need to rent them I will. Also, guess I should mention I'm thinking of starting around the 1pm time frame. That way we can be done in time for people to still have a saturday night to party with.
    opie

Bumping as a reminder. I know there is a RC ride that day, so if those that committed would rather do the ride, I understand and can reschedule, but it won't be until mid-february. In the meantime, if anyone else wants to come, just let me know. A buddy of mine from up the road will probably come to, if for no other reason than to drink beer.
    Also, please....bring....tools. I'm serious when I say I have a grand total of a standard wrench set, power drill, and maybe a stud finder somewhere. However, I do have beer and will get pizza delivered. Any special orders on the brews?

Opie

Awesome, that sounds like 2 and possibly a third. All others still welcome if you just want to hang and have beer (or coffee, or water, or Mountain Dew...whatever)....I'll pm the address and some directions to those who've said yes.

Opie

Where do you live at? I would be more than happy to help. I did my 3.5" lift by myself, took about 8 hours total, and did it at a park and ride to boot ;) (Can't work on vehicles in my development). Still have all of the tools I used in my jeep, and plenty more at my job if needed ;D Just keep the coffee brewing though....
    PM me for my #
    Mike

coffee is not a problem. I live in Dover, across from Kent Acres and East of Fox Run in a place called Saint Jones Commons. Basically, if you go down Highland Ave off State St, we live in a little bowl at the bottom that most don't know is there. As for bundling up and doing it outside... I'm from Texas....that ain't gonna happen until at least March/April time frame....and that's pushing it. The weekend really has to be the 15th or otherwise sometime in mid-Feb as I travel for work on 22 Jan. I'll be out 2.5 weeks. I don't mind borrowing tools from shops if I need to, but I don't see myself spending a whole lot of money on them in a short amount of time. I'll acquire them over time. Anyway, I'll PM some folks that seem interested and see what we can get together. Keep posting if you're interested.

Opie

Ok, so my budget boost came in and I'd love to get it on. I also have a BL that I may be interested in fitting (but haven't decided yet). Obviously this won't happen this weekend and I'm pretty sure it won't happen on new year's weekend either. I work on the weekend of the 8th and I fly away on bidness on the 22d. So the only real weekend I have available is the 15th and 16th. I know it's cold, but I do have a 2 car garage that I park my Jeep and my minivan in, so I have enough room to do it inside. Couple indoor activities with alcohol and our hot air, and we should be good right? The two things I'm lacking are tools and expertise. I could probably muddle my way through everything, but it would have to wait 'till I bought tons of tools anyway. So, anyone up for it? Beer and some food are on me...and the fun is what we make it....

Opie

So, with winter coming, I think I'm going to upgrade my tires to 31's. I don't have a lift yet, or else I would grab some 33's, new rims, and be much happier. I'd like some ATs with an aggressive tread pattern. Where is the best place to look for them? I've been trolling forums, but I think I'd like to buy new. Any suggestions? Seems like I can get some for around $130 - $200. Is that about right?

Opie