Posts by howardlt

Doubtful.

After the loss on selling his, the markup on the new one, and paying the 3.75% DE tax, it would be cheaper to just re-gear.

Man, am I glad you said that. I dont know anything about gears or differentials, or which ones I should have...but I do know that it's something I probably have to put some thought to and invest in sometime if I keep wheeling. Till then, I'll keep trolling.

Opie

Here's the bottom line guys. The citizen is responsible for knowing the law, the cop is not responsible for explaining it to you. What does that mean? If you are driving without doors, the cop can give you a ticket. Period, dot. Will many police officers give you a pass because you are not a resident? maybe. But they are not required to by any means. Maybe they are having a bad day....maybe the last guy they pulled over was a jerk....whatever the reason, if the law is in place and you violate it, your lack of knowledge may not get you out of the ticket. The question is, will you be willing to fight it in court when the time comes? Personally, I'm not driving back to OC to fight the ticket. I may win, but the gas and time isn't worth it. So, we all have choices, you have to make the call....

Besides all that, if you guys put a convoy together this weekend to head down there, post it. We may be interested in heading down Sat or Sunday....anyone going 4-wheeling on their trail?

Opie

Keith, if I put 33's on, I'll stick with 10.5s.

DK, I'm still debating on whether on not I like the look of the Ravines, or if I like Stealies better. If I decide to spend anything on new rims, it would be those.

I plan on getting some backspacing anyway. I wouldn't mind of they stuck out a little.

Opie

almost forgot. I'm trying to figure out a way I can get to 33s while keeping the look of the stock rims. If I get a lift, will the rims I have support 33s? Not a deal breaker, but just wondering if I could pull it off. Otherwise I might just get some black stealies. Depends on what looks good with my colors.

Opie

I was looking at my tires today and realized that with as many miles as I put on this thing, I may not have new wheels/lift before it's time for new tires. If that happens, I've been trying to figure out what the largest tires I could put on this are right now. I have Ravines 15x8. I know I can't put 33s on....what about 30s?

GS

So what's the best place to go in Dover just to get a basic balance/tire rotation? I normally use Pep Boys, but I'm sure there has to be a mom and pop shop that does the same thing for the half the price right?

Opie

Actually Quantum, that's a good point. From what I've read so far, and knowing me, I probably wouldn't be interested in a hard top. If the soft top works in the winter with no problems, I would end up being too lazy to put the hard top on. Probably won't be getting one unless something changes.

Opie

cool, the cold and the snow accumulation were my main concerns, but it sounds like I shouldn't be worried. I'll take grief for not having one, but they'll never understand until they get a Jeep so I may as well just get used to it.

Opie

ok so, whether I like it or not, winter is coming. I doubt that I'll have a hard top by the time it gets here so I'm wondering what I'm facing as far as challenges go? Is a hard top really that important for the winter months? Is the inside hard to keep warm with the heater on? Should I be worried about snow accumlating on the top? Other pitfalls? thanks for the help.

Opie

thanks all. I did get some pics. When I get them posted to photobucket, I'll link them here. Now that I have the blessing, I need the cash. When you include Hershey Park and a hotel for 2 nights, this weekend took kind of a toll on the pocketbook. Soon my friends, soon.

Opie

Stomper, I saw your Jeep but couldn't find you near it. We'll hook up sometime, and yes, I already want to go back. Driving home, the thought that kept crossing my mind while in traffic was..."just let me drop into 4L and go that way, I can get out of this in a hurry". One good thing that came out of the whole thing was a great comment from my wife. When I asked if she wanted to do this again, her reply was "sure, but not until you get a lift and some bigger wheels"...lol...woohoo.

Opie

Just got done with Topless for Tatas and thought I would post a first timers experience for those whove done this so long they may have forgotten... :o ...jk. Unfortunately, I didn't get to ride with the DEJA folks as my stock rig wasn't ready for the trails they were running, but all good, I hope they had a good time. I know I did. I have to believe the trail guide knew his stuff because it seemed like he took us through the really easy stuff and progressively got harder as the day went on. The last trail had me repeatedly bottoming out. I was shocked I made it through unscathed. Funny thing is, a couple other guys with modded Jeeps (lifts, wheels, etc) had issues. One bent a sway bar, the other had his emergency brake about torn out. I must have found every rock on the trail...and HARD...but came out undamaged. I was also the only one that didn't take a bypass. I needed a spot once, but after that, I rolled through it while the wife asked "should you wait for the trail guide that was spotting you?"....heh...nope. This was the first time I ever used 4L and I learned a ton. I had a great time, and can't wait to go again. Here are some things I learned:

1. I drive a standard and in 4L, gears 1-3 drive like an automatic...it was crazy
    2. Speed is not your friend....but tork is...which poses an interesting problem in itself.
    3. Trails = dirt....get over it
    4. Just because something goes bang, doesn't mean it's bad
    5. It's ok to follow someone else's line....unless they have 33's and a 3 inch lift, then figure it out

I'm sure there was more, but it's time for beer....see ya'll soon

Opie