Posts by clydebeak

Nice. I'll stick with the 5w20. It doesn't seem to be burning oil too fast (which I have heard is a problem for some). Oil level still fine after 3,500 miles - going to change the oil this weekend.

Model is 2010 JK sport, 29,xxx miles. I'm hearing a quiet (but constant) engine tick at idle. It is harder to hear (but probably still happening) while driving but I can't be sure.

I'm currently running 5w20 oil that was added at the dealer before purchase. I've heard switching to 5w30 may resolve my problem. I'm sure there are a handful of threads dealing with oil recommendations but the search feature produces too many results. Without getting into a brand/filter debate, is it a good idea to run 5w30 or should I stick with 5w20 and look at other things as the cause of my problem?

I plan to get my Jeep out on the sand for some surf fishing this year. I know there are a lot of past threads involving information about locations/rules/laws etc. but I was wondering if you guys could lend some more general advice.

I'm in the market for a rod and reel, and aside from going on price I have no clue which ones offer affordable quality. I don't want to go the ultra cheap route and end up replacing it later, but I don't want to spend a fortune on a rod that will likely sit in the water while I'm busy drinking man-sodas.

Any recommendations?

You can input your VIN at Jeep's website to see if your specific model is affected. Mine appears to be clear but I'm going to give them a few days to update their database before checking again. Thanks for the heads up on this BlueLesPaul.

Think of it as treasure hunting on land. People hide different "geocaches" in various areas rated by difficulty of getting to the location. They are searchable by GPS location and various hints are given to finding the object. Usually there is some sort of "sign log" that you can leave your mark on for successfully finding the object. Some are take/replace where you take what you find but leave something of your own behind. It's a neat/cheap way to spend some time adventuring.

A buddy of mine was having this same problem with an 07 hardtop and he actually found a TSB on water leaks. If your friend has water ending up in the front carpet and no appearant water marks on the dash, A pillars or consoles (like would see from a leaky top seal) the TSB actually showed sealing a hole in the body inside of the rear fender. I know it sounds stupid, cause thats what i thought, but there can be an issue that allows water to come in and run inside the channel under the door and ends up in the front carpet. I'll see if i can find the email he sent me and post up a link.

Could this be the same for a 2door JK causing it to end up in the back footwell? I've had 2 mornings where some water had mysteriously accumulated on/under the carpet in the rear. It had been driven in the rain prior to me noticing the water, but the top has no obvious leak points. (No holes, and seals all fine) It wasn't a lot of water, the carpet had soaked most up.