Posts by Way of the Jeep

2012 Grand Cherokee. Duratrac tires.

Started hearing a sound coming from front right wheel. When moving is a steady whispy CHH-CHH-CHH-CHH-CHH sound. Occasionally has a slight whistle to it too.

I thought probably bearing going bad. But from all I read and see on youtube, that makes more of a humming or grinding sound.

I checked, haven't see anything stuck in the tire or tread. No excessive wear noticed on tires.

Any ideas?

I can post a video if need be.

Thanks.

The engine light went off shortly after I posted that an performance has been fine since then. Have driven on turnpike and local roads with full acceleration.

Ill stop in place that gives free code scans though.

Yeah I am still in. Im just going to Kuwait, nothing exciting. Will be there for most of 2018.

2012 Grand Cherokee, V6, about 64k miles. Just had inspection at dealer 2 months ago. No problems until today.

Check engine light came on this morning.

Drive on highway about 15 miles at around 65mph no issues.

Local street, was going up hill and went to accelerate to pass and make a lane change..... sudden complete loss of acceleration and vehicle started slowing down. Tried again and could not accelerate. It made no loud noises or anything else odd.

Arrived where I was going (around the corner), parked vehicle for about an hour. Went out and drove again.

Engine light still on, but works fine. Drove several miles including up hill and accelerated no problem. Try variety of situations, like starting accelerating mid hill, accelerating from various speeds.... no problem.

Is it possible this was just a random one time misfire? Or cylinder going bad? I filled up with gas last night, maybe got a bad batch?

I am also about to deploy overseas in about 4 weeks so not much time to work with.

Anyone want to sell, or have a good recommendation for a 2012 Grand Cherokee cover?

I 'll be deploying soon and it want to cover it for the year. (someone will drive around block once a month for me)

I have a garage but will leave that for my wife to use in winter.

Thanks. I figure the FOB is pretty much toast.

I guess more importantly, whats wrong with my good one? Dead battery despite never being used? Never programmed?

Any way to test?

Now that my jeep is out of warranty seems like problems keep coming

Having issues with KEY FOB on 2012 Grand Cherokee.

Key FOB#1 - was dropped in water about 6 weeks ago, but was still working fine, until now
    Key FOB#2 - Not responding at all, not sure if dead battery (despite never used) or dealer forgot to program it when i bought car

Problem: Jeep CONSTANTLY locks it self and double beeps. I press the START button (on dash), it starts, but also beeps and locks

Every time I get of Jeep for a minute and close door, beeps and locks. This is very annoying when I have to get my son out of back or just getting out to pump gas

About 50% of the time when I press the UNLOCK button on FOB, it beeps and LOCKS

Sometimes I literally just touch the FOB but not a button, and it beeps and locks.

Im thinking the FOB is on the fritz and keeps sending a signal to the jeep.

I cant test the back up FOB because Jeep doesnt respond at all.

So.... replace battery on FOB #1?

FOB #2..... Maybe I can take this back to dealer and request programming...... or can we program these ourselves?

I guess, I mean its blowing air, just not cold (when parked or driving slow in rush hour).

High speeds its the opposite problem. Blows cold air, but you have to put hand up to vent to feel it. Thats probably a fan problem.

The highway problem was random, not every day. It happened specifically on days when it was over 90 degrees combined with me driving over 75mph.

This weekend was cooler out and I was driving 65 mph, and it worked fine.

Is it possible that the high speeds/hot day is causing the engine to get very hot and hijacking the fan? I dont know if thats even possible, but fan problem seems to correlate with extra hot engine days

2012 Grand Cherokee

AC hasnt been up to snuff over past month or so.

1) If sitting in driveway or parking lot on hot day, will take very long to cool down- just blows barely cool air until I get on the road and moving

2) Several times recently during the heat wave (over 90 degrees) when I was on the turnpike, it would just go out. The blower dial would be on max setting, but would be barely blowing out as if were on the minimum setting. Then when I got of turn pike and onto lower speed roads, would kick back in again. Or in some cases, it would kick back in the next time I started it up.

3) Cruising around on local streets it seems to work fine- blows well, and air is cold

Its just out of warranty, so trying to gauge how big the problem is going to be and cost.

Sound like needs freon recharge? Temp sensor? Or was it just being overworked on the 95 degree days combined with turnpike speeds?

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am leaning towards the Duratrac.

Do you guys have the LT rated or P rated?

ADDED: Talked to tire place today... the P-rated are on national back order. The LT rated are available. I dont mind paying the extra $$ for the tougher tires (10 ply) but any issues in running LTs on a Cherokee? Rougher ride, kill gas mileage?

2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo

So my inspection is coming up and I am pretty sure at least 1 or 2 of my tires will cut it close. Its about time to replace tires anyway.

Any good recommendations? The OEM is the Goodyear Fortera HL P245/70R17

Also looking at Wrangler Adventure All Terrain w/ Kevlar and Wrangler Duratec

The All terrain looks good and has good ratings, but I saw something about "not rated for snow". Do the rugged tires tend to perform worse in snow?

I obviously wont be doing any off roading in this, but maybe occasional dirt / water / grass. Snow performance is biggest concern.

Also, do I HAVE to use the 245/70 , does getting a different Aspect/Width affect much?

Thanks

Ford gave their Raptor over 500 HP. That's the rare combo of super powered engine and serious off road capability.

I think Jeep is just trying to keep up with Porsche and BMW and Land Rover. SRT8 started as a 405hp, then the competition released something faster, so they had to respond.

I guess I can see these super SUV's appealing to a successful 40+ family guy. Gives you the room and 4WD of an SUV to drive the family around, with the ability the step on the pedal and unleash hell when you have the car out by yourself.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Got VirtualBox and Ubuntu 14 up and running.

I set it as Dynamic, with max space of 8TB. I allocated 1024MB of RAM, should I have done more? I wont be doing too much stuff, mostly just poking around trying to learn command prompt stuff.

Now to try one of the tutorials you guys suggested. Might also get the Linux Bible.