Posts by Way of the Jeep

Well "Windows Blue" aka Windows 8.1 is scheduled to come out this summer. It should have some major upgrades plus the ability to boot directly into desktop mode. Hopefully it will be a lot better than current W8.

I have W8. No issues with it. I am not sure why people hate it so much. I ONLY use the desk top, sometimes I forget I am even using Windows 8. As far as switching to desktop mode, its literally one click. or 1 second of time to do it.
    The only thing annoying about it is when I am in the middle of something and I accidentally touch the edge of the mouse pad and it switches to the tiles.

When I creased a fender and hood at RC my insurance company covered it under comprehensive. They said that's because it wasn't being driven on a public road when it happened. :shrug:

Rare situations like that vary from company to company. The two companies I worked for would call it Collision. If you collide with an object (thats not airborne) it would always be collision (with the 2 companies I worked for)

I wouldnt drop coverage. Even if you hit a tree or something off road, its still covered under collision coverage. And taking it to the trails is a risk too. Even if tow it to a trail, it could still get rear ended by an uninsured driver, or dozens of other things could happen to it.

If you let your insurance company know its not driven regularly,and spends 99% of the time in your driveway, they might give you a very low rate on it.

This was in AFG, I am not sure what exactly happened as I was on a flight line and left like 20 min after I took this pic..

This one was in Utah where some infantry guys shooting a .50 cal in very dry climate set a mountain on fire, homes had to be evacuated..

I got a 2012 Grand Cherokee last week. (Pentstar, not the hemi).

Theres some small-medium bushes we've been wanting to get rid of in front of our house. I have the tow package and a tow strap leftover from my Rubicon days. Would pulling these bushes out with my Jeep be too much strain for a brand new engine?

Something evil about a matte black or grey vehicle...I'd be all over one as well. PITA to care for a 'real' matte paintjob (there's special wax so as not to increase the gloss and repairs can be a pain) but they're sweet IMHO

I'm digging the all black grand. Been shopping for a new family ride in the near-ish future and was intrigued by the diesel offering that's coming...if I could get it all black it'd be a done deal.

--Ian

The diesel and also the new 8 speed auto that should be on the 13s. The trans should improve acceleration and increase MPG by about 4. Combined with diesel you could be at 32mpg or so.

I always thought Stealth Bomber black or Gun Metal would look awesome. I am black fan though, so I do like the black painted hard tops. I dont like it on the other colors though.

There's really nothing about off-roading that would get it excluded. Unless, again, it was an organized competition. People drive their pick ups and SUV's on their farms all the time. To be sure, check in your EXCLUSION section of your policy, there might be some kind of wording like "driving in areas not intended for vehicles or not designed for traffic" or something like that. But I'd say theres 99% chance you're covered off road.

The thing you guys DO need to be concerned about is your modifications. Get an Aftermarket Part supplement to your Collision Coverage. Otherwise the $5000 parts you added to your Jeep might not be covered. In most policies they are either not covered, or covered up to $1000.

It would fall under collision coverage- he collided with the Earth. :D I've handled roll over claims before- people taking turns too fast and what not. I actually had a Rubicon roll over claim. Guy just got it and drove way too fast on highway. He probably wasn't used to the ride height.

As far as rates going up - yes. Not because he was off roading but because he had at an at fault accident. The same as if he rear ended somebody at a stop light.