Posts by Way of the Jeep

As you guys know I was a claims adjuster for a long time before my current job.

Off roading should be covered. Usually policies only have exclusions for *organized competitions* such as racing. A "leisurely" ride through a trail would be covered on most policies. Now if you were entered into an official offroad or rockcrawling competition, that would not be covered.

This guy wouldnt have to tell the adjuster that much detail, could just say he was driving on a camping trip or going fishing and miscalculated a hill.

Ive been out of the loop so sorry if you guys already talked about this. I've read that JGC will have diesel in 2013.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120106/CARNEWS/120109924

As you guys know I was thinking of getting a 2012, but I might wait a few months for the 13's now. I've never considered owning a diesel, but people seem to get excited whenever they are mentioned.

From my basic knowledge I know they get better fuel economy and more torque. But what are the other pros and cons? Do they last longer? Better performance?

Also would you expect this to be significantly more expensive? Some people are commenting it will be over 40k.

I am in a position to buy this straight up, so no APR/interest concerns. Also I will be able to get a pretty good deal through USAA and Chryslers Preferred Partner discount. I was pricing some out through JEEP website and EDMUNDs, then I priced some with my USAA membership and it came out about $5000 cheaper.

But as a former claims adjuster, I know vehicles depreciate quick.

I know in 4high its essentially an AWD system. But would the 4low gear be a real 4WD system?

Also, anyone know the differences between Quadra-drive II and Quadra-trac II? QD is more expensive and seems to have better ESD for icy roads, lose gravel from what I can tell. But is either better in light off road conditions?

JEEP® 4WD SYSTEMS Rides like a luxury car, until it snows - then you'll be glad it's a Jeep 4x4. There are three proven 4WD systems to choose from: Quadra-Drive® II offers rear Slip Differentials (ELSD) and full-time capability for the ability to transfer torque to any wheel allowing you peace of mind, the Quadra-Trac II offers full-time capability with 4LO, and Quadra Trac I® is full-time without any levers to pull.

OFF ROAD I package

[li]Front Suspension Skid Plate[/li]
      [li]Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield[/li]
      [li]Full-Size Spare Tire

[li]Steel Spare Wheel[/li]

[/li]
      [li]Hill Descent Control[/li]
      [li]P245/70R17 OWL On/Off-Road Tires[/li]
      [li]Quadra-Trac II® 4WD System[/li]
      [li]Selec-Terrain™ System[/li]
      [li]Skid Plate Group[/li]
      [li]Tow Hooks[/li]
      [li]"Trail Rated" Badge[/li]
      [li]Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield[/li]
      [li]Underbody Skid Plate[/li]

This is what I would get. Kind of confusing because they only advertise the Overland as having the select-terrain feature, but apparently you can get it on the Laredo with the off road I package. It sounds like your wife has the Quadra-Drive ?

I would love to get the adjustable air suspension on the Overland. I dont think can justify paying an extra 10k for something I will barely use though.

Anyway, aside from off-road capabilities, how do you guys like the vehicle? The 12 is supposed to have a roomier cabin as well.

I just wanted to hear everyone's honest opinions on the 2012 Grand Cherokee. I am very seriously considering getting one when I get back from Afghanistan next year. I've read pretty strong reviews on it. I would also get the Laredo-E and Off Road I upgrade (skid plates, better tires, Quadratrac II,terrain selector).

What do you guys think bout the new 290hp V6? I don't really want to upgrade to hemi as I dont have a boat or trailer or anything.

Obviously I won't be doing Paragon or anything, but the off road package should make it capable for light trails (on camping trips), beaches, flooded roads etc. right?

They really need to start teaching some basic financial management skills in schools. But then again, I work for a credit card company, maybe they shouldn't :)

You can teach them the math, but too many people have that 'right here right now' philosophy. They want to have nice things and look good. Expanding upon what I said in the last message, I often see young people (lower 20s) with 2 kids, and have expensive subwoofer, amps, dvd players, multiple screens etc in their ride.

The Escalade reference was due the 'bling' look. I probably should have said Denali though, which is a package rather than a vehicle.

From my experience as a claims adjuster, in which I look at vehicles every day, the Escalades and high end trim SUVs are VERY popular in the ghetto. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to write estimate in lower income areas of Philly and they have a Escalade on 22" $2500 wheels etcs.

I was never really into fancy phones and apps before. But I got a droid when my blackberry keyboard died. I am glad I did. The apps are not only fun but very helpful.

Which ones have you guys downloaded?

I use ShopSavvy a lot. You can scan bar codes at stores, get product reviews and competitor prices. I use the GPS a lot too. I have a GPS back home but out here at training in Utah I use my droid to get us around in rental cars. YELP is also very cool with the monocle feature looking at a city street. RUNKEEPER is very helpful as I am preparing for a marathon.

I've been out of the loop for awhile. sorry if you guys already talked about this. But has anyone heard about the new engine for 2011 models? It will be in the Grand Cherokee, possibly the Wrangler, as well as many other Chryslers.

http://www.avengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=40717

This is just one link but if you google Pentastar you will find a lot more information on it. Would look pretty good in a Wrangler.

Hooah! (do we even still say that)

Crossing over to the butter bar side of life eh :P I've been tempted too, but sticking with chevrons for now.

UDel is a pretty good school, and Newark is (mostly) a nice town. Don't know anything about their ROTC program though.