Posts by Lovely

Mine is not the 4cyl., it is the 6cyl. but I guess I'd better check it anyway. The funny thing is I just had my exhaust manifold changed because it had the typical crack in it. I am guessing that was no more than 1000 miles ago. Maybe one of the manifold bolts worked it's way loose but I have no idea how I am going to get to most of them. I took it to the shop to have it done because it involved removing the intake manifold and an bunch of other crap just to get to it. I will give it a look see this weekend.

Yeah that's the other funny thing I forgot to mention. For my mileage everything seems great, like I said, no smoke, no oil consumption, and I just changed my oil and on cold start up it is dead on 52 psi. I have noticed that even after the engine is completely warmed up the oil pressure never drops below 40 psi. The signs don't point to worn out, that is what get me :shrug: .

Let me get this straight, in the state of PA I am NOT required to wear a helmet when I ride my GSXR-1100 like a rocket on rails, but when I am in my Jeep I have to be buckled up with my doors ON. Uh......makes sense to me!

I could switch to a thinner oil, because I currently run 10W30 (not synthetic) if it would help. As far as everything else goes it is sound, it does not burn one drop of oil between changes and no smoke at all. It's got me baffled but I am not too worried about it because it is not my daily driver, I only drive it on weekends for fun and to wheel. I would say I average maybe 100 miles a week.

Rob, thanks for taking the time to post that great reply. For some reason I was not notified anyone had replied and I just happened to notice it today scrolling through old posts. Seems to me that when built properly and wheeled with finesse the super 35 can be a great solution. I had already planned on welding the axle tubes and trussing the axle, I am a firm believer in overkill!

I have noticed since I purchased my 95 YJ (6cyl. 121,000 miles) that on a cold start up it sounds like there is a noise coming from the top of the motor (sounds like it is in the valve cover). The noise is similar to the sound of shaking a can of spray paint (the little ball rolling around inside) only not as loud. It seems to get much quieter if not go away when the motor warms up. Any ideas what this might be, and more importantly should I be concerned? I know the girl is getting some miles on her and it is not going to purr like a new one, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I am going to regear for sure and I will most likely go with 4.56s because I eventually want to upgrade to 35" tires. Thanks for everyones input but as far as the durability of the super 35 I have heard other people praise how well they hold up. I can't believe you toasted a detroit in 150 miles, something doesn't sound right with that. Price is a major factor so I am going to have have to go the most cost effective route. I know that is not always the best option but being young with a family and a budget I kind of have to do the best I can. Keep the advice coming I am going to weigh it all out.

Hey all just trying to get some feedback here. I am thinking of my winter project and I am weighing out going with the super 35 as compared to trying to find a dana 44. I seems like such a hassle to find a 44 and build it up as compared to just building up what I have. I guess I should start off by saying that I only intend on running 33" tires and I am only looking to run blues and low level blacks. I plan on going with a lot a finess over a lot of gas, and I am just looking to make what I have more reliable for the trail. Has anyone done this and can you point me in the right direction please? Thanks in advance!

Why would you want to exclude anyone? Who cares what your Jeep has done to it, if you want to go on the stocker rides it should be understood in advance that the trails that will be run will be stock level trails. I personally would not like this at all because when I need tires I plan on going with 35's but I really enjoy the stocker rides. As DrJ said, sometimes it is nice to just relax and not have to worry about breaking things etc. Also, I would really like to bring my son on stocker rides because he is only two years old and I like the more laid back format for his sake. What is the problem with everyone being invited anyway?

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the trip. Your all were a great group and I feel like I learned a great deal (especially that I really need to convince the wife that gears and lockers are a "need" not a "want"!). As for Chris, man you did an awsome job as a guide and kept us well informed throughout the day. The wife and I had a blast and can't wait to wheel with you all again! I can't say thanks enough! FYI- I posted all of the days pics. in the gallery, enjoy.
    Steve

Quote from "orimaine"

modifications are a poor substitute for finesse & experience.

Well, growing up my Dad always told me I had the grace and finesse of a bull in a china shop :shrug:! All jokes aside, I know exactly what you are talking about, the driver can make all the difference in the world. I admit that I am still pretty green that's why I am trying to get as much trail time as possible. The one run I went on so far was a huge learning experience and I learned a lot about my rig as well as myself as a driver (both need improvement!). The fellow members on the ride were VERY helpful and patient with us new guys (and gals) and made the day a lot of fun. I anticipate Saturday will be no exception. Thanks again all for making me feel welcome :ghug: .

Cool, that is reassuring. I just don't want to be "that guy", and we all know what I am talking about. I am so pupmed about going this Saturday (it's only my second time out, can't you tell!) and can't wait to see you all on the trail.
    Steve

Hey guys, by looking at those that are going I am wondering if I would end up being a hinderance. I see that you all have a great deal more experience and are better set up (gears, lockers etc.). I was under the impression that we were going to have enough people to have two groups (one HC and one Modified) but by the looks of things this group is going to be more interested in the HC aspect. I just don't want to get up there and end up getting into something I have no business being in. I am in for some blues but I am afraid the blacks may be a bit too much, what is the game plan?

I have 33" Swamper SSRs and have found that 26 psi. cold on the street gets the most even tire wear. As far as off road goes, I air down to 13 psi. Every tire and combination will be different, the most effective way to get an even tread wear is the chalk idea and watch them very closely. I just eyballed my SSRs and I could tell if they were wearing even or not.
    Good luck because tires aren't cheap!

I have heard of the Pine Barrons but I am not exactly familiar with what they are. Is it public land, private or what? Where in NJ is is and how far away? If it is all legal and there is ample places to wheel there why don't we go there as a club? Sorry for all of the questions but I am trying to find as many places to wheel as possible!
    Steve