Posts by Mudflaps

Thanks to this thread, I learned that the New Jersey Beach Buggy Association (NJBBA) offers a Beach Driving Class on March 16th at Island Beach State Park. The course is free and you do not need to have any of the permits etc. you would normally need for beach access during that class. The gentleman said that it's about two hours of classroom instruction and then the group heads out and drives the beach (under supervision). I signed up (it says that there is a maximum of 17 slots) and he told me I was #3 on the list. He also offered that if I wanted to being a guest I was welcome to do so, so I guess it's actually a limit of 17 vehicles. Here's the link to the information in case anyone else wants to get involved. http://www.njbba.org/beach-driving.html

p.s. In talking to the instructor, he recommended a bottle jack as opposed to the traditional off-road jack that I see most Jeeps carry. Since I was going to go out and buy a jack of some kind anyway, and I was thinking that I would get the Harbor Freight special (http://www.harborfreight.com/4…f-ton-farm-jack-6530.html), maybe I should be looking at something like this instead (http://www.harborfreight.com/4…ic-bottle-jack-66450.html)?

Mudflaps got a new water pump and serpentine belt last night (preventative maintenance), plus new oil pressure and coolant temperature sending units (yay... now all the gauges work), plus an oil change and filter (Mobil1 10-30 HM). Running great in this cold weather. Next up: finishing the spare tire snowboard rack so we can go to the mountains on Sunday without jamming everything into the back seat. Also have a new rear view mirror that should take like two minutes to install.

Thoughts of (somewhat) warmer weather ahead...

I booked a camping trip for Easter weekend (April 18-20) at Assateague National Park (not the state park campground, which doesn't open until the following weekend). I'm a pretty experienced tent camper, so I'm probably good with knowing what to bring and how to handle the environment (we are on the ocean side). But as far as driving my Jeep on the beach, I'm a novice. So here are a few questions to get the discussion started... any advice would be appreciated.

1) I am planning to tow a utility trailer with kayaks, gear, etc since we will have four passengers and a small dog in the Jeep. From what I can tell, there is a paved parking area where you leave your vehicle (we have a walk-in site close to the South Beach lot and the entrance to the OSV zone)... I assume there is also space to leave the rig there (unattached) as well?

2) If I am reading the various sites correctly, I need to buy an OSV permit at the ranger station, and then there is a limit on how many vehicles can be in the OSV area at any given time? Since it's so early in the season, I am doubting that I will bump up against a massive "crush" of vehicles?

3) Once out on the beach, it is fairly obvious where one should and should not drive? Are there any markings to show the use zones, and is the general procedure to follow along the tracks of the vehicle that proceeded you? What about stopping to picnic/fish/etc?

4) I understand the basic concept of "airing down" the tires, but is is better to drive in loose sand (closer to the dunes) or packed wet sand (closer to the ocean)? Is this a 4wd high or 4wd low situation?

Again, any information or suggestions would be appreciated... and at least we'll not be talking about snow (I hope)!

I'd be glad to spend some time at the booth if we have one. Perhaps we could also find smaller new items in our garages to put together a "Basket of Jeep Cheer," for a raffle prize?

Thanks all! I paid my dues last night before I made this post, so looking forward to showing up at a few meetings (Hi... I'm Mudflaps and I'm an...) this year and coming out to some club events as well!

Hey there... most people call me Dude, and my Wrangler prefers to be called Mudflaps (although she doesn't have actual mudflaps)... when you see her you'll know why. Anyway, I split my time between Rock Hall MD and Swarthmore PA (traveling salesman, insert joke here), and spend my spare time (and money) on my Harley or my sailboat if I'm not tinkering with the Jeep. Got a wife and a couple of teenagers... neither of the boys are old enough to drive but both old enough to keep me busy shuttling them from here to there and back. We do a fair amount of snowboarding during the winter months, and maintaining three houses plus all the vehicles is almost a full time job in and of itself.

I bought Mudflaps from a buddy of mine in MD... she's a 1991, but only has 125k on the motor, and I've been gradually restoring her to get ready for the "show season" this year. When she came to live in my garage, she already had the lift kit done and rims/tires upgraded. In addition to redoing the interior completely, I'm adding a lot of lighting upgrades and a CB system in the next few months. Most of the time we go topless and leave the doors at home, although this winter I've been just fine with the full hard doors and the soft top (I never got around to putting the hard top on). But I've had fun no matter what the weather, and already have met a few DEJA members... looking forward to meeting more in the next few months.

BTW... I'm normally a Miller High Life guy, but my doctor said I should switch to Natural Light, so I'm trying. British gin in the summer, American bourbon in the winter, and if you're pouring shots, make mine a Fireball. I've been known to enjoy a cigar now and then, and I'm partial to modern country music and classic southern rock... shout out to Blackberry Smoke for straddling the line between the two!

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I will take the day off on Friday, load up Mudflaps with all the camping gear for the weekend, and plan on pitching a tent at the DEJA compound (if you will have me) through Sunday. I guess six cases of beer would probably be enough?

[size=small]Looking at making this my first trip to a Jeep event... had a couple questions about logistics for anyone who has gone before.

1) When does registration usually open?

2) The info from last year says onsite camping is first come first served, and that office hours for the administration building are on Friday mornings? Do you really need to get there a day early to secure a spot (and is that recommended), or can you arrive Saturday morning and still find a spot to camp? Does the camping area usually "sell out?"[/size]

3) I plan to tent camp and will need no hook-ups... is it mostly people doing the same or are there a lot of RV's? Are they 'designated" sites (marked off with boundaries) or do you just claim whatever area is available based on your needs? Any limit to the number of "structures" per site (i.e. can you do multiple smaller tents rather than one large one, and/or can you put up a pop-up shade tent in addition to your sleeping tent(s)?
    [size=small]
    4) If I'm not interested in doing the obstacle course or ramp, is there any reason to stay for Sunday? Are the show awards given on Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon? Do you have to be present to win raffle prizes?

5) What generally happens on Saturday night? Do people wander around York PA, or do they generally stay and party in the campground? I assume you can bring your own adult beverages into the grounds if you are camping... can you also bring them into the show/vendor area or do you need to purchase from "official" vendors during the day?

Thanks in advance for the info... I guess we can also use this thread to post up an attendee list etc as we get closer to the date.[/size]

I can deliver the flares/fenders/floorliners to Middletown on Monday after work if that will work for you.

The tires and wheels will need to be picked up... next Thursday after work would be best for me.

Send me a PM and I will send back my phone number and we can set it all up. Thanks guys.

BUMP.

Anyone want any of this stuff? Make an offer and it's yours... I'd rather it go to good use than just haul it off to the dump. Can meet anywhere along the I-95 corridor...

So are u asking if u should try and save a 4 dollar bottle of oil u left outside for a period of time in the rain?

If it was just a $4.00 bottle of it would be a no-brainer. But $20+ in oil (Mobil One runs about $7.00 a quart) is a different story. Same with the $22 oil change special from Autozone... add in the upgrade costs to Mobil One and a Mobil One filter and that becomes a $45 oil change (if I recall correctly from when I did that three months ago). But thanks to those who replied thoughtfully to the question posted... I appreciate your insights and advice.

And by the way Nick... if you were "offering me a sign"... that's an ill-advised way to introduce a prospective new (dues-paying) member to the way your club operates (from a position of sarcasm at best and disdain for those who are not as knowledgeable at worst).

I usually buy my motor oil in 5qt bottles, and then fill a 1qt bottle from there to keep under the seat in Mudflaps for those occasional top-offs. Anyway, last time I did that I accidentally left the cap off the big bottle and left it outside, and in the past few weeks it's rained quite a bit.

I'm 95% certain that some water has gotten into the oil (the bottle still had about three quarts of oil in it), but I can't see any water in there. Using the old adage that oil and water don't mix, I'd expect that the water would be floating above the oil and that I could just pour it off? Or if not, anyone know a trick to remove any water from the oil, assuming there is indeed now a mix?

In any case, what's the opinion on whether or not the oil can still be used in the motor, or should I put it to some other use (i.e. add some balsamic vinegar and spices and serve it with some fava beans and a nice chianti)?

What kind of repair was done to the driver's side on the sliders? Let me check the pics against the zip-ups I have now, but assuming they will fit as a replacement, I'll take the sliders. PM me and we can work out details for pick-up. Thanks!