Posts by ConcreteCharlie

Replaced my broken steering stabilizer shock with a high clearance OME stabilizer. Had about three wobble sessions on the way up to Quadratec to pick it up. A test run over some of the same spots was smooth, and the stabilizer didn't fall off, so I'll count that as a victory. I have to drive about 100 miles tomorrow so I guess that will be the real test.

There are complaints all over the internet that ARB doesn't give you any install instructions, and I found that to be true. ARB doesn't even have them online. However, an intrepid gentleman on another forum got ARB to email them to him and posted them up. Here is a link to them if anyone ever buys one of these. Also had to drill a couple of the holes slightly wider on the relocation bracket.

Broke my sway-bar stabilizing shock. Keith performed an emergency amputation out on the trail. Just wanted to let our group know that I made it back OK. Two bouts of death wobble near the end of the trip. That was INTERESTING. :rolleyes: Thanks for the advice about handling it. FYI Julian, I managed to avoid the biological malfunction that we discussed on the trail...just.

Had a blast. Can't wait to read the trail report to learn where we went today.

1) Stafford
    2) Formud +1
    3) JMack +1
    4) Mabus
    5) Jkjeeper ??? (maybe)
    6) whatevah +1 sunday only
    7) Kuntryboy816 (tentative)
    8) skeets682 + blackRubi and the dogs(going up Friday through Sunday)
    9) Keith.eric (Sunday only) (very tentative - depending on what this impending fetus decides to do).
    10) Flutterby + 2 kids
    11) Shorebird 18/19 maybe Friday
    12) TheDarkSide +1. Friday - Sunday. Planning on camping but wouldn't mind a bed in your trailer bmf24!
    13) cj8 Friday - Sunday, camping
    14) YJDave + kids (not sure how many)(Days or Kids)
    15) Curly +1 Sunday only
    16) sandtostand + 1 Saturday.Sunday maybe friday
    17) tcatalano +1 sunday
    18) mazer820 +1 sunday
    19) teamsaus +4 Saturday camping/ Sunday 101
    20) NitroRubi +1 Comp plus half day on Sunday; camping Friday-Sunday
    21) E-Rock (tentative) +1 prob 2 nights, not sure if sleeping in truck, tent, or hammock
    22) JKGray10 Fri-Sun depending on weather
    23) Tonka- Comp / tentative for camping and sunday wheeling.
    24) DSterk +3 Sunday
    25) Tngent +3 [size=2px]Sunday, two jeeps[/size] (1 Jeep 101 class/1 Jeep trail run)
    26) addyand + wife Sunday
    27) ConcreteCharlie - Sunday trail run

Is the office usually a zoo on the Sunday morning after the comp? Wondering if I should leave a little earlier.

Installed an Eaton E-Locker on the rear differential. <cough> <cough> OK, I stood watching while Aaron installed the Eaton E-Locker. However, I was very quick with the zip ties and blue towels whenever he asked for them.

The switch I installed on the A Pillar actually worked! So I am pretty proud of that effort.

OK - got a little time this afternoon and pulled that plug referenced in the Spod instructions. Here it is on Jerry's picture:

So, if you have a manual JK and need to run a wire from the cabin, you pull that rubber plug out (I'm guessing that is the wiper fluid line that goes to the rear window). You can gently snake a wire hanger down into the cabin. It will come out near the bottom of the side panel on the driver-side dash. Tape the wire to the hanger and pull it through. You can then jam that plug back in.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

As I feared, that hole you are using is occupied by my clutch:

I did find some Spod instructions online, here. These seem to specifically say don't use the hole that I identified in the first post. They mention going to the right of the brake booster, but I must say that I am still confused. I hesitate to cut through that accordion rubber structure surrounding the brake lever.

Added Later: Looking at those instructions again, they seem to be saying pull that plug that you can see at the top of your engine photo, and run the wire through there (not talking about the brake lever as I thought. They are saying to the right of the brake booster as you are looking from the front under the hood.). Would you agree with that?

Thanks Jerry, will check that out tomorrow. I'm wondering if that hole might be in a different spot on manual transmissions because of the clutch. But I may have just missed it earlier today. Pics are very helpful.

Mellow Yellow, I discovered the SPOD today while looking on Youtube for wiring instructions. That looks pretty cool. Feel like you're driving a 747, I'll bet. Lots of possibilities with all those buttons...Nitro, oil slick, ejector seat, machine guns...

Installing an Eaton E-Locker is in my near future, but I am trying to get a handle on the wiring issues first. I plan to install the switch on a Rugged Ridge A Pillar switch mount. My question is: Where do you run the wire through the firewall on a JKU?

I looked down by the clutch and didn't see any likely candidates.

I also pulled off the side panel on the dash under the A pillar. Directly forward there is a hole with what looks like some insulation on the other side. Is this where to do it? Here's a picture:

The yellowish insulation (?) is to the left between the two bolts. There is also an interesting little plug or something on the right. Those wires lead to a bundle that can be made out inside the dash (which presumably leads through the firewall somewhere.

Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.

1) At least one more pair of hands

Ditto - It's not just the weight, it's awkward.

Unaware of any programming issues. Mine came with a hardtop and I just pull it off and put it back on without any need to program anything. Maybe it is different if it didn't come with a hardtop.

Put one of those manual hoists on your list to install in your garage...makes taking the top off much easier and gives you a good place to stow it in summer.

Harken Hoister

I'd also be curious on any thoughts about beach jeep etiquette. I'm sure a lot of that is common sense. But on those crowded days you occasionally see someone with a setup that looks like a Bedouin camp at an oasis taking up multiple spots.

If I have operated the search function properly, it looks like it's been a while since a discussion about lockers. I am thinking about getting an Eaton E-Locker for the rear differential. A few questions:

1) E-locker a good option? ARB air locker just seems like a major PITA.
    2) Smart to go only on the rear axle? I join the trail rides 4-5 times per year and take it on the beach. Not imagining any (intentional) trips down Rock Creek.
    3) Is this a mod that mechanical dummies can do in under two months?

I have a 2012 JKU Sahara - manual trans.

I've been watching the pirate thread... Carl and one of the Rover guys is on there. And a couple are on a Facebook group... I like it better knowing the behind the scenes stuff.

Here's the thread on Pirate that Jerry referenced. You have to wade through a remarkable amount of vitriol from everyone to get to the quotes from Carl and the Rover guys.

My younger kids are really into the show. Not sure if it is all just a ploy to stay up later or what..."Hey Dad, can we watch that offroad show??? Pleeeze???"

Thanks to Keith for leading us. We covered a lot of ground in spite of waiting awhile for some Land Cruisers and Lexuses (Lexi?) at one point. Next time out, I hope to spot an Escalade.

Tim, I hope your repairs can be accomplished without too much hassle. I was amazed at the amount of steam generated when that rear brake was doused with water.

We just got back from a trip there. Unfortunately, we had a Ford Flex rental so I couldn't investigate the dotted lines that were all over the map for "4WD Only".

The Big Island is definitely the heavily-modified-vehicle capital of the world. Tons of Jeeps. They all must be modified for a reason.

There is a little road that leads down to the Waipo Valley on the east coast that looked pretty cool from above on the lookout. Thousand foot-high cliffs surround the valley. They won't even let you think about going down that road without a Jeep. They actually have a guy stationed at the top to stop idiots who think they can handle it in a Ford Flex. :spinrhead:

Order a good road map of the Big Island and you will see the 4WD roads all over the place. Not sure if they are true "wheeling" but I'll bet they all have their fun parts. Where are you going to stay? We rented a house in Kona that was fantastic.