Posts by shorebird

In the past there was a meeting Sat a.m. prior to the drivers meeting for judges etc. Every course at least 3 workers, sometimes 4. The score keeper, a timer, and one or two judges. I've never been able to be there on Friday, but they may need set up help if anyone gets there early. Anyone interested in working the comp should just show up at the meeting and you'll probably get a job.

I'm upgrading to Yucon TJ type front axles and in addition to replacing the outer axle seal on the passenger side, having removed the disconnect, I was wondering if the addition of the outer billet aluminum axle tube seals would be recommended. I noticed that the axle is not machined smooth at the location of outer seal which was supplied with the upgrade stuff.

I'm planning to be there, do we have a sign up for judges for the club comp I'm up for helping? I think I have at least one more year left in me. Don't know if I'll have my upgrades done by then.

1. Stafford - gametime decision on camping or hotel based on weather
    2. Whatevah - likely camping both Friday and Saturday nights
    3. Slowpoke - Sunday - Blues and Blacks
    4. Sandtostand - camping - I will take a 101 group (maiden voyage, excited to get jeep on the trail since long arm install)
    5. Kuntryboy816 - tentative due to a few minor issues
    6. JKGray10 - Watching comp - Sunday Hard stuff if jeep is ready.
    7. Erager84 - mild trails, booked hotel room (2 queens) for Saturday night if anyone wants to split it
    8. Knoxrents - Hard stuff
    9. Lisel - (Tentative) - Easy Stuff
    10. Astape - hard stuff
    11. JMack - camping, I may have a new guy with me so I may stick to the 101 group
    12. Tonka- camping, hard stuff Sunday.
    13. cj8 - camping Friday & Saturday, Blue
    14. Beachgirl and surfrider riding shotgun - Tentative , camping depending on weather.
    15. Skeets682 - Blkrubi. With FRED the rolling dog house (rv)
    16. jkjeeper - I'm up for the 101. I'll probably camp, and I might bring my jeep dog.
    17. altierior - Hard stuff
    18. Shorebird - Saturday help with or watch club comp, Sunday help with 101 or Blue/Black
    « Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 12:09:34 PM by altierior »

Before I put wider flares on my YJ the biggest complaint I had was road spray on the inside of the windshield (yes, it had to be raining and the top half or the entire door had to be off ;) )

I ordered them, $450.00 including shipping after $50.00 rebate for the pair with the seals for the driver and passenger sides and stuff to eliminate the disconnect. I didn't ask about the actual brand, but I was told they are alloy axles, made in the U.S.A. with a lifetime breakage warranty. They gotta be better than what I had, deed done!!

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure I'm breaking u joints first then taking out the ears on the axles. I would like to find some TJ axles with the larger u joint and try them, however I really hate to give up the passenger side disconnect since I'm running a lockrite. Like John I have to make decisions based on how much I can afford to spend on my Jeep. A pair of alloy axles is around $1300.00 and just sticking them in a 28 year old D-30 with a 27 spline locker with 212,000 miles on it doesn't seem to make good sense. If nothing turns up on the site, I'm going to buy a Spicer TJ drivers side axle to get my Jeep back on the road with two axle shafts in the front, using the axle seal to keep the oil in instead of a rag! :doh:

Since I used up all my spare D-30 axles, it's time to put out feelers for some more. If anyone has any 27 spline assembles laying around either old style YJ/XJ small u joint type with the disconnect on the passenger side, or newer larger u joint solid passenger side TJ/XJ type, I'm interested.