Posts by jmack

Thanks. I did a quick visual and they all just look...old. Don't look damaged but look like they've been there since 97. Most feel ok but there is a little play in the rear drive shaft.

I'm working through some basic upgrades and maintenance on my TJ. And I'm hoping to get it out for a real trail ride in April. This will be one of the first times the Jeep (or the driver for that matter) have been off road. So I have a couple of questions....and if this is just another round of shots at the same equine carcass I apologize.

What types of things to you carry in you rig on the trails? Basic tools and recovery stuff are a given. What else is in the back of your jeep? Spare parts?

Are there any other mods or work I should consider before hitting the trails? Current rude is my DD, 97 TJ 4 banger. Spacer lift on 33s, discos in the front and rails on the side. What else would you recommend?

With 180,000 plus on a lot of original parts, is there anything to look for or at? Rather look at it now then have to get towed home.

When does the fishing begin to pick up in the spring? I'd be very interested in tagging along on a trip or two with some more experienced to learn the ropes.

One of my sway bar links is permanently disconnected. Wondering if it makes sense to install disconnects or go the cheaper route of non-disconnect replacement. The Jeep is mostly a road machine, but if I'm going to be replacing any way.....

It does have a spacer lift so there are more options in the disconnect style.

Once I figure out how to post pictured I'll put up a before shot.

Once I get the shop to pry off one of the wheels I'll finally be able to get started. :censored:

Settled on 33s. Going with wider wheels as well. Now the tire debate.

General Grabber AT2
    Pro Comp Extreme At
    Goodyear MTR
    Goodyear Duratrac
    BFG AT

Anyone have experience with these?

I'm going round and round in my head on this.

I can either:

Buy 31s throw them and the budget boost on and be done for around 900.

Buy 33s throw them and the budget boost and body lift on for about 1100. Then see how it does and decide if I need a regear down the road.

I'd like to do some mild off road stuff and definitely get out to the beach to fish some.

Not sure which would serve me and the Jeep better. But given its only a small difference in cost and since I probably won't do tires again for years (only put about 8k a year on it, at about 185 k total). I'm leaning toward the bigger tires and starting down the upgrade road.

How important would a regear be since I have 4.10s now (it is a 5 speed, not an auto)?

So....

If I do the 33s, can I get away with stock gears for now? And would the budget boost and a body lift suffice?