Posts by Question67

[size=1.35em]I realize this is probably real basic stuff, but I want to make sure I've got the right idea here: I take a heavy gauge wire and attach one end to the ground wire off my negative battery terminal that is connected at the engine block. The other end I attach to a grounding block (buss bar) and mount it somewhere on the body or frame (perhaps a couple places fore and aft) to which I can then attach any ground wires from lights, gauges, accessories, or whatever requires a solid ground connection. Right?[/size]

[size=2]I really appreciate the responses! This is excellent feedback that further confirms my suspicion that my problem is rooted in poor ground connections. While there are grounding wires to the battery, frame, metal dash, and lights, many of these wires are vey thin and "daisy chained". From your responses, it sounds like I need to install much heavier grounding cables, and I need get my hands on a couple of solid grounding blocks.

Being respectful of everyone's time, I would be happy to drive my CJ over to have someone take a quick look and offer an opinion. I would sure appreciate 20 minutes or so of your time. I'm in no rush. Send me a PM if you would like to set up a time.

Thanks again for the great responses![/size]

Greetings! I'm hoping someone can recommend a good mechanic in the northern Delaware / southern PA area that can help me with my 1979 CJ5. It's pretty stripped down, but has a Chevy 350 small block engine, Borg Warner 5-speed trans, and full fiberglass tub. Having serious electrical problems that I can't seem to trace. I would love to have it re-wired if I could find someone to do it. It should be pretty simple since the only electronics I have are lights, a couple of gauges, and a horn! I think the fiberglass body creates ground issues.

She needs a few other things, too, but the electrical problem is the most immediate need.

Any referrals for a mechanic that likes old CJ's would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Craig - Wilmington, DE