Swapping a 5.9L into a 98TJ

• Yeah its hooked up. Its wasnt yesterday but I could swear that thing ran for a sec or two off of starting fluid last night ???

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• Yeah I checked the spark from the plugs and out of the coil. not sure about codes. I know the check engine is not on.

2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

Edited once, last by jbates ().

• Little things first
    check the fuse box for a blown fuse.
    Sounds funny but after all the wiring issues one could have blown.

• I checked the fuse in that ciruit last night and it was good. Just checked all of the other fuses and they are good also.

2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• Do you have an analog volt meter? If you do, set it to its lowest voltage and connect it to the crankshaft position sensor (and the camshaft position sensor too) and crank the engine. You should see the needle fluctuate. If not, there is a problem with the sensor or the trigger. If you see the signal there, then check the same thing at the coil primary leads. If you are not seeing it at coil you need to check to see if the computer is receiving the signals. Remove the connector at the ECU (you'll need the pinout to know which wires they are) and see if you are getting the signal there. If not, the wiring between the sensor and the ECU is suspect. If you have them at the ECU but not at the coil, the problem is in that section of wiring.

• The CPS is located on the bellhousing just below the passenger side cylinder head.

I just got off the phone with Jarred and everything seems wired correctly.

The truck this came out of was a 2000 Dakota R/T and may have had the security feature. It had a regular black key and ran and drove fine, but the security light was always lit on the dash board. When Jarred picked it up I gave him the dash harness as well a black box connected to it that I could not identify. Does anyone have any experience with Dodge security? I thought they all had a transponder in the key, but this one did not.

• Ok I checked the voltage to the coil. Green/orange When the key is on it gets 12v then drops to zero. when you turn to start(crank) 12v comes back and then drops again.
    Checked the continuity between the Black wire from the coil going to pin 7 on the C1 plug of the PCM and it is good its the same wire. Havent checked the voltage coming out when its plugged in yet.

The CPS mounts to the back of the block and goes in a hole in the bell housing.

2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• check the ASD relay, make sure that is energizing with the key in the on position, then you should hear the fuel pump prime.

• It seems to be a security issue.
    The ASD relay and the fuel pump comes on for two seconds then shuts off. Also no spark even if I tie the ASD relay signal to ground which sends 12V to the coil. I am sending the PCM out again to have the security function taken off. Hopefully I can get it back by thursday.

2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• that might have a separate pickup in the dist for start and run. one is energized for start (allowing spark for starting, then denergizes when the key switches to run and the run pickup energizes)...

is it a magnum motor? or a tbi?

• It seems to be a security issue.
    The ASD relay and the fuel pump comes on for two seconds then shuts off. Also no spark even if I tie the ASD relay signal to ground which sends 12V to the coil. I am sending the PCM out again to have the security function taken off. Hopefully I can get it back by thursday.

That sounds like to me a security thing. I know in cars that have it, if you were to take a normal cut key and just start it, it would start, then in 2 seconds or so it would shut off.

Good luck!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!