98TJ 4cyl engine swap into a 97TJ 4cyl

• Does anyone know of any differences between a 97 4cyl and a 98 4cyl? (specifically the engine) I will be putting my 98 engine into a 97 body. I noticed that the wiring harness looks a little different as far as how the plugs on the firewall are postioned but that shouldn't matter.

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• the engines are exactly the same and all the connectors should be the same also...i know they put a bracket on the firewall to hold the 2 main engine harness connectors that may be the difference you are seeing.

• Thats what I thought and that bracket is also what I didnt see in the 97. Just wanted to make sure before I yanked out the old one. Thanks

2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• Well just so everyone knows. That is if anyone has a "bright" :doh: idea like I did. All of the connectors/plugs on the engine are different. I had to switch all the connectors over ie water temp sensor, distributor, intake and fuel injection. Not to mention the JEEP wasnt lifted what a PIA! But it s done now.

2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!