Transmission type

• Hey guys,
    Right now im running on a 4 banger with 4.56 gears and 33's. I would like to upgrade to a strait 6 but im not sure about the transmission. I have the 3 speed auto right now, im not sure which model that is? What transmission do I need for an automatic transmission on a 4.0 I6 engine?
    Thanks
    Nick

• 32RH will drop right in behind an I6 4.0 Liter up till 05 I believe. After that will be a 42RH (has overdrive).

My suggestion would be to sell your jeep and buy what you want. Definitely easier :doh:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• It depends on the year. My 3 speed is DEFINATELY a 32RH. I've already replaced it once :doh: I know a TF999 will fit with some mods but I believe the 32 RH came in with the TJ.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)

• not to hi-jack the thread but I have a few transmission questions. First, I have an 04 TJ Saraha 4.0 automatic. Which Transmission to I have? Second, how difficult is it (for someone who know's what they are doing) to swap in a 6-speed manual transmission?

• It depends on the year. My 3 speed is DEFINATELY a 32RH. I've already replaced it once :doh: I know a TF999 will fit with some mods but I believe the 32 RH came in with the TJ.

then you must have a 4cyl, the 6cyl deff has a 999 or 904....

• not to hi-jack the thread but I have a few transmission questions. First, I have an 04 TJ Saraha 4.0 automatic. Which Transmission to I have? Second, how difficult is it (for someone who know's what they are doing) to swap in a 6-speed manual transmission?

your better off with your (i think) 42RE, the 6 speed has a worse overdrive gear and they arent known to get good mileage. and teh first gear is pretty useless most of the time....

• I love my 6 speed(sometimes).....didnt see much improvement over the 5spd for gas mileage but they do have a "granny" first 1 gear which is nice for crawling 4.46:1 first and a .84 final drive in 6th....the gearing allows you to run higher gearing in the diffs and come out to the same crawl and drive feel as the 5spd with a step down in gearing....example-Im running 35s with 456s which would be the equivalent to running 35s with 488s running the 5spd

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• then you must have a 4cyl, the 6cyl deff has a 999 or 904....

I think I know my own jeep Meeper. It's a 2000 Inline 6 4.0 liter with a 32RH tranny. If you'd like to see my original window sticker I'd be glad to show you. Also Brian Casper replaced it for me about a yr ago and we also installed a 32RH tranny when he did it then. The tf999 is almost the exact tranny except for mounting and shifter locations. They can be modified to run in place of a 32 RH but they are not what came with it. I have a tf999 out of a YJ in my garage that I was going to rebuild and put in but Brian found one that only had 23K miles on it so we just swapped them out.

Actually the link that Chuck posted confirms it. http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/

Former V.P. (2006-2007)

Edited once, last by Wolverine ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!