Seeking Tire Load Rating Experience and Impressions

• So I have been running a Geolander AT+II 245/70R16 tire on my Cherokee. I have been very happy with the ride and performance of the tire but it is time to replace them and I am adding an extra inch of lift to my Jeep and I want to step up to a 245/75R16, essentially a step from a 30 to 31 inch tire. Well they no longer make the AT+II and Yoko has a new model out called the A/T-S. I like the new style tire but I am finding that this tire as well as many other tires in this size only come in an E load rating. There are some A/Ts that come in various load ratings but they all have pretty shallow tread depths at 12 or 13/32nds as opposed to 16 or 17/32nds of the E load rated tires.

So I know a lot of you are running flotation sizes with C and D load ratings but I am wondering if anyone has gone from a P metric (passenger) rated tire to an E rated light truck tire on their Jeep, or pickup or other vehicle and what your impression of the difference in ride has been?

Is an E load rated tire gonna ride a lot rougher than a passenger or C or D load rating or will they be comparable if I running them at a lower pressure?

Or would a higher load rating with stiffer sidewalls be better for me regardless because in a lifted vehicle the center gravity is higher which puts great lateral stress on the tires while cornering?

I know the stock Rubicon 245/75R16 Goodyear MT/Rs are E load rated so I guess anyones impression of the ride on these would be helpful as well?

I appreciate anyones experience with different load ratings in regards to perfomance and ride.
    Thanks

• im running 265/75/16(31.6x10.4x16) nitto terragrapplers on my xj and they are the smoothest tires I've ever run in a semi aggressive all-terrain tire...load range E same as the 245 MTRs

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• The only thing to remember is that you'll likely need to air down further than a lower rating in order to get the same flex from the tire due to the stiffer sidewall. There may also be a slightly harsher ride but IMHO isn't too noticeable (it is a Jeep after all)...nothing like the load range G 19.5's on my truck which are like riding on solid rubber tires. A benefit would be slightly better handling from the stiffer sidewall...similar to going with a larger wheel/lower profile tire.

--Ian

• Good points and suggestions, thanks.

I considered the the terragrapplers but your size is the smallest they make and I don't think they will fit on my Cherokee with 3" of lift, at least not the way I would like them too.

Point about airing down is a good one but I am not too worried about that because I don't air down much. The prospect of better handling for my aggressive driving style is a real bonus I would appreciate and I am starting to think if I run them at a slightly lower pressure than my current tires the ride harshness will be virtually unchanged, and you are right, it is a Jeep not a Cadillac.

I figured the harder construction might make them a bit more noisy, but I am happy with the current A/T+II now and the A/T-S is supposed to be quieter so I assume the trade off of higher load rating and better design will make them very similar in noise level, I hope, to my current tires. I would hope the wear characteristics wouldn't be too different from my current tire for an all terrain that spends most of its life on the street in a well balanced, well aligned form.

• i have a 3" rustys kit with replacement leafpacks and it fits fine just needs some spacers in the front get rid of the raked hotrod look and to keep the tires from hitting the fenders...im running 355s and have no problems keeping up with traffic.

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!