changing rear oil/diff fluid

• is this as easy as just pulling the diff covers, letting the oil drain out, putting the cover back on and filling through the little hole till it comes to the bottom of the hole??? i think its about time to change mine... what type oil should i use?? help a noob out

• The oil type depends on what type of rear you have. Most rears take 80w90, but if its limited slip, then you usually need a friction modifier. Some lockers take heavier oils like 95-115. Check your owners manual.

If the plug is the kind that screws in, make sure you take it out before you pull the cover. If you pull the cover and then find that the fill plug is frozen in there, Its real hard to refill. And its never a bad idea to get a real good look at the oil, if it has metal particles in it. Also, check the condition of the gears, all the spider gears and how they ride on the cross pin. The pin shouldnt move within the carrier.

• Definately take the plug out before you pull the cover. I made that mistake the first time and had a hell of a time trying to get it out with the cover was off the diff.

After you unbolt all of the bolts, the cover may not come right out. I found its best to leave the very top bolt on but loose and tap the cover with a rubber mallet. This will break the seal but won't let the cover just fall into your drip pan.

Once it is all drained, scrape off all of the old RTV on both the cover and the diff. Spread an even bead of new RTV on the diff, not the cover. Carefully put back on and bolt it up in a crisscross pattern (like wheel lugs)

HTH

-Chris

• they sell paper gaskets and i usally use both RTV and the gasket its kina over kill but they never leak

• Permatex makes something called "The Right Stuff"

It comes in "easy cheese" type cans or small caulk tubes with a mini caulk gun. Ill swear by it. Its one of the "secret ingredients" in the Perfect Toolbox.

• I just use RTV, it's tough as anything to find a gasket for the CJ dana 30 front axle.

what is so much better about "the right stuff" over RTV? The only problem I have with RTV is getting it off the parts when you need to change it again is a pain in the ...
    The only improvement on RTV i'd make is some way to make it come off easy.

• The right stuff is designed from scratch to be a "formed in place" gasket, and is better at spanning larger gaps than most RTV sealants. Ive had better success with it on diff covers and valve covers. Its ready to be put into use pretty much as soon as youve got everything torqued down. Theres no "wait 2 hours for a tack to set" And it is easer on your hands to apply, to squeezing a little tube.

• I definatly like the idea of not haveing to wait. I may have to find some of this stuff and give it a try. Where did you get it?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!