Lift height opinions.

• Alright, looks like a TJ will be coming to my driveway on Thurs...so that means I need to finally decide which lift to put under it along with my axles in order to fit my 36" Iroks. I originally was looking at the Clayton's or FT longarm setups at 5.5 and 6 inches, respectively....but d@mn that Bob Supplee, his prices on the RE LA setups make it _VERY_ hard to justify the extra cost of them. From what I hear the RE 5.5" setups typically are 7-8" on a TJ and the 4.5" net about 6"...what do you guys think is better the 4.5 w/ a 1" BL/MM or the 5.5"?? My gut tells me that the 4.5"/BL might be the better option...keep the COG a little lower and less of a PITA when dealing w/ driveline vibes. Opinions? Bueller?

--Ian (who still would like a 4-link triangulated rear but is one cheap bastard)

• I personally like the RE lifts.. I have heard tons of good things about them.. I put a 4.5" extreme duty on my 94 yj and it rides great. if your gonna wheel you definitly want the long arm version.

what year tj ya getting Ian??

• Quote from "cj7taz"

I personally like the RE lifts.. I have heard tons of good things about them.. I put a 4.5" extreme duty on my 94 yj and it rides great. if your gonna wheel you definitly want the long arm version.

what year tj ya getting Ian??

'99 Sahara...4.0/5spd

• Congrats on the new purchase Ian and for choosing wisely (Sahara). As far as the lift goes. I would probably be inclined to go with the RE and Bob's prices. It is well proven and trail tested. The FT just came out not too long ago but I have only heard good things about it. And Clayton's is probably the beefiest long-arm I have ever seen but is very prices and isn't a complete lift kit. If you still wanted to four-link the rear, just buy the RK add-on rear upper 4 link. Turtle, Elff, and Quadna all have that and I know it is a huge improvement getting rid of the trackbar.

HTH

-Chris

• Quote from "JeepSahara"

And Clayton's is probably the beefiest long-arm I have ever seen but is very prices and isn't a complete lift kit.

Actually you can purchase a full lift from him now...it's RK componentry with his arms. My concern with that is that I've heard of issues with the RK springs/shocks (although Paul has a set on his XJ and hasn't had issues). I priced out piecing together a lift with Claytons arms and the rest RE stuff but even at Bob's pricing it was several hundred more than the complete RE lift. My biggest issues with the FT setup are that the upper link is non-adjustable and it uses heims which will likely get noisy after I subject them to dust/dirt/mud for awhile.

If you still wanted to four-link the rear, just buy the RK add-on rear upper 4 link. Turtle, Elff, and Quadna all have that and I know it is a huge improvement getting rid of the trackbar.

hmm...that's an idea...I wasn't aware that the RK upper was an upgrade for the RE setup, I thought you had to use all their stuff. If that's the case it's a done deal because I can get the RE lift _and_ the RK upgrade for less than either the FT or Claytons setup.

Now, back to my original question....4.5/BL or 5.5???

--Ian

• I would do 4.5" suspension and 1" body lift... that is what i am goona do. oder me a daystar 1" body lift... and be good to go..

• I'd do the 4.5" and the BL. I know the RE skid isn't a true flat skid but you may need the BL for clearance issues.

-Chris

• Id do 5.5. I believe quadna was running 4.5 on his with 37s and he had 2 inch spacers. With out the spacers i think he was rubbing. Also correct me if im wrong but arent your 36 in swampers a just about the same hieght as the MTR 37s? I say 5.5" with a 1.25 jks body lift. Just my 2 cents.
    Ed (wishing he had long arms)

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I ran 35" mt/r's on my 4.5" RE long arm kit with a daystar 1" body lift and I had some room even when I stuffed the tire in the wheel well but Swampers I believe are a true size tire and I would recommend going 5.5". what kind of shocks are you going to run? You will need to install a cat back with the lift kit. From what I understand no long arm kit is a true belly up because the long arms either mount to a belly pan or to bars that connect to the frame and the belly pan connects to the bars, I know my belly hangs a little more than I like but I was told it was because of my transfer case.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!