Soft Top Maintenance

• The other soft top post made start thinking about mine. I run a hard top in the winter but my soft top (factory) leaked a little at the end of last year from the seam over the rear support bar (which is over the back seat) Don't the make some type of seam sealer wax or something close? Also, whats the best thing to put on the zipper teeth to help keep things running smooth?

Thanks.

• can't help you with the leak, but i've had good luck with a bar of dry lubricant that napa sells for zippers. it's a tan waxy tube that you just run over the zipper a few times and seems to do the trick. i've also heard of folks just running a bar of soap on the zipper for a short term fix.

• you can use scotchguard spray on the top at the seams to help keep water out. i do this on my halftop and it works like a dream. as for the zippers, i would take a rag with some WD40 on it and wipe them down every now and then. cleans the dirt off and puts a small layer on them. i had the soft top on my TJ for 4 years without a problem with zippers

• My buddy uses petroleum jelly on his canvas top for his boat. Works great!

I saw on Qtec that Best Top sells something to protect the fabric it might do similar to what the 3M stuff does but also have some UV protectant in there.

Bestop® Protectant specifically formulated for Bestop® soft tops, molded/soft accessories, exterior/interior vinyl. Bestop® Protectant safely repels dust, grease, dirt and mildew and is exclusively developed for complete protection against UV fading, cracking and hardening. This easy application spray on, wipe dry contains no silicone or petroleum solvents.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/91083_111.htm

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!