aftermarket radio

• my cousins radio in his 2003 tj just went, so he is going to buy a new aftermarket one. the only thing he was worried about was the subwoofer in the center console, is there anything that you can get to let that still work with an aftermarket cd player?

• Pretty sure it's wired into the stock harness, so if you get the adapter harness, I would think it would work.

• I just put an aftermarket radio in my jeep about a month ago and I have the sub in my center console, it still works. I think there was an additional wire on the wire harness that you hook up if you have the sub. The only thing that you have to worry about with an aftermarket radio is you will need an extension for your antenna (at least mine did).

• some of the cheaper headunits don't work too well with the factory subwoofer. I think we recommend the Sony CDX-GT3** series or better for that.

Keep in mind that the dash opening size will be larger than most aftermarket radios so you'll need a dash adapter. You can get them at radio shops, or the "install kits" from Quadratec come with a plug-n-play wiring kit (no splicing!) and the dash adapter.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I just put an aftermarket radio in my jeep about a month ago and I have the sub in my center console, it still works. I think there was an additional wire on the wire harness that you hook up if you have the sub. The only thing that you have to worry about with an aftermarket radio is you will need an extension for your antenna (at least mine did).

yes you only need a antenna adapter for the 03 plus chrysler radios.

• Just hook up the wiring harness and you'll be fine. there should be a wire for the amp on the adapter harness, match it to the one on you new radio.

• my 03 factory sub worked with the METRA harness. just hooked it up color for color. i was concerned too...but it worked without any additional modifications.

• it must be something with the "newer" jeeps as my '01 amp no longer received power once I put an aftermarket radio in... I found instructions online which called for running the "remote" wire to the factory amp.... after which it worked.... why it wasnt' in the harness I have not earthly idea.... I never looked nor cared after it worked

• My 03' worked just fine. Just match the wires with the harness. Easy as pie. I didn't need to do anything extra with the amp. :shrug:

• well i put the radio in, checked the wires over a few times, everything was hooked up good, but then no sub. i looked online to get some procedures and they said to hook up the remote wire instead of the power wire to the sub, so i tried that...still no luck, im just about out of ideas except to run a seperate power wire to the factory amp. anyone know where that is located, or if i have to pull out the center console or what...im just frustrated.

• well i put the radio in, checked the wires over a few times, everything was hooked up good, but then no sub. i looked online to get some procedures and they said to hook up the remote wire instead of the power wire to the sub, so i tried that...still no luck, im just about out of ideas except to run a seperate power wire to the factory amp. anyone know where that is located, or if i have to pull out the center console or what...im just frustrated.

the remote (or power antenna) wire is just a trigger wire that tells the amp that the head unit is on.
    the amp would need a power feed, remote feed, and an audio source.

if you buy the adapter wire kit for the new stereo its should just plug in and be done.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!