Wheeling in Centralia, PA

• My g/f, her cousin and myself stayed in Ashland, PA over the weekend. We visited Centralia and did a little wheeling up there as well. We also drove to places we refer to as "Creek in the Road" in Tinicum Township, Bucks County, PA as well as "High Rock" at Ralph Stover State Park about 10 minutes from there. I have a few video's that are being uploaded to YouTube as I type this. I will post those in a later reply to this post. Here are some photos:

I'll be in the NJ Pines this weekend too, so more photos and video's then as well :)

YouTube vid:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

EDIT: HDR's from that day:

-Rick R<br />-Quadratec Online Community Coordinator<br />-&#039;15 JKU - &#039;98 &amp; &#039;01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Ams - &#039;03 VW Golf Turbo Diesel<br />FDNY 9/11/01 - We will never forget our fallen brothers

Edited once, last by GhostDakota ().

• nice! i look forward to visiting there someday

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• About how far is that again? I saw a guy on Creepers a while back who went up there...

&quot;Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.&quot;

• It's about 1 hour, 30 mins from my place in West Chester, PA. My g/f lives in Newark and it's about 50 mins in traffic to her place, so I'd say about 2.5 hours from Newark to be safe.

-Rick R<br />-Quadratec Online Community Coordinator<br />-&#039;15 JKU - &#039;98 &amp; &#039;01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Ams - &#039;03 VW Golf Turbo Diesel<br />FDNY 9/11/01 - We will never forget our fallen brothers

• Thanks :) Would've been better had I had more lift and bigger tires ;)

• WOW! what an amazingly beautiful photo!

you should submit that to one of the jeep mags. it would definitely get published.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• Seem that the cherokee is running well :wavey:, haven't been to Centralia in a long time, use to go through there when we went to my wifes grandparents.

• Hell it looks a little bit more exciting then the canal at least. I might take a trip up there sometime here soon. Looks kinda like a place where a firearm on your side might be necessary. Much fun...

&quot;Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.&quot;

• No enforcement because of the mine fire burning under you. Take a risk of goin' through the ground, thats why it's now a ghost town. If you go just be mindful of the fire down below.

• No legal wheeling? Why is this? There are no posted signs anywhere stating it's illegal to drive there. There are no "No Trespassing" signs anywhere I went. I did see some along the side of the main highways, but I obviously didn't venture off that direction. I will not wheel where it clearly states it's illegal to do so. Is there a document stating it's illegal to do this?

All the places I ventured on were trails that had been used thousands of times and just drudged their way through the mountains. Some were on my GPS, one was a "Logging Trail" per my GPS.

It was also real sad to see the illegal dumping going on there. On many of those back trails there was trash of all sorts (strollers, mattresses, tires, bottles, cans, wrappers, plastic bags, baby seats, bikes, etc).

Edited once, last by GhostDakota ().

• I was using the canal reference in the fact that you see a bunch of people wheeling there but it is not legal to do.... The terrain is a bunch of slag piles and trails through piles of trash... it is really not worth a trip up to illegally drive on a bunch of coal slag... the lack of enforcement comes from the fact that the state police barracks in bloomsburg is in charge of enforcement and I doubt they have the man-power to worry about a few trespassers on state owned land.....Just be careful in the area, there are a ton of open mine pits that appear out of no-where, invariably there are at least a hand-ful of people who die every year in that area from driving around where they are not supposed to and fall into these 300-2000 ft deep holes...

The entire area is owned by the state of PA more specifically controlled by the bureau of mines and reclamation, you cannot enter any state owned land unless it is specifically open to public access... being that centralia is a mine subsidence area, there is no open public access except on the state owned roads that are not closed to vehicular access

• Maybe I'd drive tow or drive my KTM up there. Won't make much of a difference but I can move around a whole lot better.

• "Several major routes and minor roads run right through Centralia PA. Rt 54, Rt 61 and Rt 42 all pass through the town and are open to traffic. Hundreds if not thousands pass this way daily. So entering Centralia is legal and it is not closed off to the public. However most of the properties that had been acquired by the Commonwealth of PA are owned by the state. Several of the properties that still are home to residents, though owned by the State as well, are personal property. Whether you are trespassing depends on where you travel within the borough of Centralia. Most of the area is not posted with "No Trespassing" signs although a few have been seen in specific areas. There are signs expressing Warnings and Dangers to alert the public of the dangers that can be hidden there. Yet people visit everyday to look at what is left of the town and see first hand the smoke and steam rising out of the ground. We have never been aware of anyone being given a hard time about visiting to look around so long as they are respectful of the residents who still live there and are respectful of the personal property and area in general. Recently there has been an increase in vandalism, which may have changed the attitudes of local people and possibly law enforcement. As a result if you visit please don't feel the need to apply graffiti, smash bottles or litter. Respect the residents and their property. There is a lot of interest in Centralia and many people visit not only to satisfy curiosity but to pay respect to the town as it was. There are three cemeteries in the borough of Centralia and family and friends visit occasionally. So please help to keep the area clean and accessible by the public. If anything, take a little of the garbage with you when you leave.

Caution: A recent note from a friend says that they had been told to leave by a woman driving a red ford pickup truck. She flashed a badge but did not state who she was. The person she was confronting wondered if she was actually an officer or if she was posing as an officer (which is a Federal Offense). If you are there and you are confronted by this person, we suggest you contact local police. We do not know who this is and if they are legitimately a law officer patrolling the area or not."

IF you are looking to wheel, this is not a place I'd recommend going. There's nothing special there as has been stated. I just like to drive in the middle of nowhere on trails. It's a peaceful feeling.

Again, there are no signs posted anywhere on the roads I was on. From memory, the Canal has signs posted stating to stay on the gravel/paved portions, and not to leave those trails. If I recall correctly, it also states no driving on them at night?

• Just because it is not posted, doesn't mean you are allowed to trespass.... Driving off-road in the vicinity of Centralia is 100% trespassing... but it is not enforced... the only legal place to wheel anywhere near centralia is on the reading anthracite land and that is only with a permit

• I just e-mailed the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. I will post the official reply.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!