lift and vibes

• im planning the next step in my jeep mods and it will be more lift. right now i have 2 inch spacers and no tc lowering kit with no vibes at all. i am looking at two kits,

Rustys 3 Inch:
    http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/m…&Category_Code=sus_tj_kit

and

Cage 4 Inch
    http://www.quadratec.com/products/16400_303.htm

I like the Cage kit better for a couple reasons...progressive rate coil springs, nitrogen shocks, and more clearance. The cost between these 2 kits is not really an issue.

My question is, with the Cage lift, will i have any driveline vibes? It does come with a tc lowering kit and i am pretty sure that the rear driveshaft on a 2.5L is a bit longer to start than the 4.0L. Also, if it does have vibes, at what speed will it kick in(i cant go any faster than 65ish with the 4 banger). and last question, if i would have a vibe with the 4 incher, would a motor mount lift help that. I know the best answer is sye and longer driveshaft, but that would send me over budget with either kit.

• Each vehicle is different so it's impossible to answer your question with 100% certainty. With the TC lowering kit and the MM lift you should be okay but it also is hard to know exactly what height you will gain with there springs. For example, an RE 4.5" kit will net you almost 6"s of lift.

I'd say you need to budget in having to do the SYE and DS. but in the end if it's not needed then you've saved money. I'd hate to do it and then find out that you did need it and couldn't afford it and then end up messing up your TC or something.

Just my $.02

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Should take into consideration regearing as well..

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• slick, i didnt see an sye listed under your mods, did you have any vibes with your RE 3.5?

i already have 4.10's i may regear, but not for a few years

I realize you have 4.10's, as do all 4 cyl tj's stock. No vibes with the RE 3.5, but I can tell you with 33's your jeep will now become a 4spd and not a 5spd anymore. With a 6 cyl, yes 4.10's will power 33's plenty, but with the 4 cyl, which comes stock with 4.10's ideal for STOCK size tires, its going to be a dog. I went about 2 months driving it like that, and because I am in college, it took me that long to save up to buy gears/install kits/and pay for installation.

Not regearing.. youll sacrifice gas mileage significantly. Why not do it all at once if your budget allows? Lift/gears/tires bam done.

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• i already have 33's, have had them for a year and a half. it is a dog, i will almost never take it on the highway. i do, however, get 17+ mpg. it is not my daily driver so the slowness is not a huge deal. in the long long run, i will probably do an engine swap which is why i dont want to re-gear now and would prefer to not do an sye

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!