YJ gas tank experience?

• As I said on a different post, I broke off the little plastic vent on the passenger side of my gas tank. Keith has helped me locate the part number, so I can get one ordered tomorrow. But I was thinking, I understand why the tank was leaking when full, but now, with it nearly empty, there still a slight leak. How can that be if only the vent broke?. After ten minutes in the Exxon yesterday there was a big spot of gas in the parking lot. This morning only about 6" diameter...and no longer dripping. The skid plate is intact, do big dents or scrapes. Would a leak just keep siphoning a little until it was fixed? It looks like a tube comes out of one outlet, goes to this plastic vent mounted up high somewhere, and then a second tube goes back to the second outlet. Is that correct?

Thanks!
    DrJ

• I believe the part that you are refering to is on the passenger side mounted up in the cavity behind the wheel well. I am pretty sure that is your roll over valve. Mine leaked as well and replacing the valve is straight forward and should fix your leak.

Chris

• Tell me a little more about it. Is it held up in there by a bracket of some sort? I guess a chunk of ice broke it off. What makes it leak when it is so much higher than the tank?

Thanks!

DrJ

• Yeah it is held up high in that cavity by a clamp. If I remember correctly it is connected to a stainless line. Like you said it may just be siphoning up there or the pressure from the tank pushes fuel up there. Not really possitive.

chris

• OK, thanks. Last question...if the clamp isn't accessible, I could zip-tie it somewhere at about the same height, right?

• just find a clamp and clamp it, dont trust getting a zip tie tight enough. plus that valve does have fuel in it and it is above your HOT exhaust.

chris

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!