Re: U-Joint Discussion

• worth the money, probably. but will the 3-year warranty still be honored in light of the new management of alloy usa?

no. there is no Alloy USA to honor the warranty.

but i would still buy them over either of the spicer choices, because they are better. IMHO.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• IMO, considering my rig will see ZERO street use and have a top speed of about 20 mph, I see no need for the greaseable joint. I would think that you could potentially get a greater lifespan out of greaseable joint when based on street miles. More lubrication when subjected to long periods of high rpm rotation can only be a good thing. I am mostly concerned with the absolute strength of the cross. I personally see my right foot testing this aspect of the joint most frequently. I will trade off lifespan for strength in this instance every time. I also think it's a fine line between "too strong" of a joint in a stock shaft. I want the joint to be my fuse, and spare the shaft. Now, if I was running alloys, I'd want the strongest joint I could afford...period.

• IMO, considering my rig will see ZERO street use and have a top speed of about 20 mph, I see no need for the greaseable joint.

even for a trail-only rig, the quandary still exists:
    1) trail rigs are more likely to have water eventually wash out the grease in the non-greasable joint, which leaves you with unlubricated bearings
    2) dirt, mud, debris from the trail are pushed/squeezed out of the bearings when pumping in fresh grease

in my experience, when my axle u-joints have failed (yes, it's happened to me more than once :-\ ), it was the caps, not the crosses. so i don't see the relative merits of the strength of the crosses as being the important issue.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• I see what you are saying but in my case the several times I have blown up u-joints it was the cross that snapped completely off at the bearing cap, not bearing failure. I don't guess there is a clear "winner" so to speak, so it all boils down to personal preference. I'm pretty lax with maintenance so I'll stick with the non-greaseables for simplicity sake.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!