in over my head...

• Well I think I'm in over my head. What turned out to be a vent/tailpipe replacement, now seems to be a much bigger leak, and a muffler as well. I can't even see where this filter went, but the gas tank isn't leaking from that area anyway. It seems to be leaking somewhere in the front lower part of the tank. The top and sides are dry. Or it is leaking on the bottom, and running to the open edges of the skid. I have no idea where this vent goes, it might just plug into a frame hole somewhere, no books show where it goes. I've used PB Blaster, a hammer, etc., trying to get the tailpipe out, it is seized to the muffler. I've cut off the pipe near the muffler, but can't get either end of the muffler to release. The muffler is rusted out enough to replace it anyway. I'm inclined to take it to Rose's Engine Repair in Dover. Gas tanks worry me, and I don't want to ruin the catalytic converter trying to get the muffler off.

...help? I can pay...

DrJ

• dam Steve.... your project sounds like everything I touch.. looks easy but soon turns into disaster... lol ::xmasgrin

• man steve I sure do wish I did have to finish the wifes jeep. plus we are leaving for indina on sunday. if it can wait until I get back on the 3rd I will be more than happy to help........... sorry bud

• If you go and get the new parts, from a parts store, a muffler shop will usually only charge you a minimal amount to install them. Its just a matter of welding them on. I had it done once for 50 bucks at bear muffler up this way. As for the gas tank, i wish i were closer, it wouldnt be that tough to drop it and find out where the leak is.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Hey Steve,

flowmaster makes a really nice cat back exhaust system. I put one on my 94 yj and love it. I think it sounds good also.

Carl

• Our company uses Melvin's Sunoco for all of our repairs, a good size garage behind the gas station. I called them, they'll "hook me up" (or so he says) because we do so much with them. The guy at Melvin's says depending on where the leak is, they might can fix it. The muffler is easy he said. I have the new tailpipe, and can go get the muffler if that's what they want. The gas tank and the vent thing is what worries me.

The vent is two pieces attached to a small diameter rubber hose. The actual vent part pushes into a rubber funnel-shaped piece. The vent has an outlet for the rubber hose to slip over. I swear it looks like the small end of the "funnel" just pushes into a frame hole somewhere to hold it up. I can't find the other end (which broke off) though, to be sure, and can't find a drawing or procedure anywhere.

DrJ

• Quote from "cjwhat?"

I can take care of it. When do you need it done? Is it drivable? I live outside of Felton.

I'm game. I'd rather pay a club member than a stranger. I'm in Dover near Moore's Lake.

DrJ

• Your choice, I have a large garage, jack, stands, and basic Craftsman tools. I can also help. It isn't the work I'm trying to get out of, its not knowing what to do. I'd appreciate being there, but I know some mechanics don't like that. I certainly saw your work on Saturday!

DrJ

• I have an exhaust system in the back of my pickup you can have. It is for a YJ as well. It is less than a year old. New cat and muffler. Let me know

• I can probably make quick work of it at my place. Air tools ect. Do you want to wait until after the holidays? Is it your DD? I just need to know so I can adjust my schedule ie how soon do you want to start?

• It isn't my DD, I can drive the KJ for awhile. How much after the holidays would suit you? Think I should order a tank now?

DrJ

• Quote from "B2hi"

I have an exhaust system in the back of my pickup you can have. It is for a YJ as well. It is less than a year old. New cat and muffler. Let me know

I'd be a fool not to take it...sure! How much?

DrJ

• Steel tanks only for a 4 cyl., B2hi dropped off a new cat and muffler assy., Tom is going to work on getting me running again. Maybe by mid-January the YJ will be rollng again! Thanks everyone!

DrJ

• This is the vent. The top white fitting was attached to a small diameter rubber hose that disappears over the top of the tank somewhere. The bottom was broken off at the taper. This is the new vent. I can hook the rubber hose back on, but I have no idea where the other end went prior to it breaking. I'm sure it'll be obvious when we drop the tank. This is two part numbers, the rubber funnel shaped piece, and the white plastic vent that presses into it.

DrJ

• YJ Update: It wasn't the tank afterall, it was the filler tube. Tom said it had split. The gas was running out the filler and into the skid plate and then dripping when the Jeep was off camber, like Paragon's parking lot... and my driveway! Since I'm getting dmaster's Kilby skid, Tom just replaced the fill and vent tubes, and is working on the exhaust now. We'll put the new tank (and fuel lines) in when the skid arrives. I got the tank, might as well put it in anyway.

DrJ

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!