Surf Fishing 7-20

• A buddy and I set out Monday morning and hit the Cape. The conditions were great, but the fishing wasn't. No bites. The beach started getting pretty crowded so we decided to head up to Beach Plum Island where I was sure to get something. I caught one small smooth dogfish and then I noticed these pairs of fins cutting the surface all over the place. So I rigged up a spincaster with a weighted plastic fish and caught one on the first cast.

Cow-nosed ray. We hooked up to four of them and landed three. Man these suckers fight. A little online research revealed that they weren't after my bait. They eat clams and oysters on the bottom. I must have some pretty good casting skills. It is believed that the wingtips out of the water is an attempt by the females to avoid getting gangbanged by the males. So I guess in their attempt to avoid getting f#@%ed, they got really f#@%ed.

• South end of Broadkill Beach...not really an island. It's not as crowded and you can catch more fish there depending on the time of year. Flies and mosquitos can be a pita though. when the wind is out of any kind of easterly direction, you'll be fine. Watch the tide...it gets real narrow during high tide.

• I don't know what it's called, but it is a plastic fish with a weight up front but inside what would be the head of the fish and 1 or two hooks coming out of the top. It's got that junior-mint shaped tail that makes it swim like a real fish.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!