Sand vs. axles?

• I'm planning to run down to Assateague with my 08 Wrangler X (stock). An acquaintance said I should watch out for sand in the axle seals, because sand will "tear up the axles." He says to wash off the drivetrain really well right after leaving the beach. The general theme in here and other forums seems to be that salt is the bad stuff, and the sand won't damage drivetrain components. Is he talking out the wrong end of his body, or is there merit to what he says? I'm a complete novice, so it can be hard to tell what's legit and what's not.

Phil

• Sand and Salt.. Both bad.. Washing the undercarriage well is a good idea. High pressure washer works great for removing salt spray residue and sand. The front axle tubes do have seals and you wont be able to get water to shoot in there anyway.. They sell axle tube seal kits. They for a flexible grease seal. Not sure how worth while they are for sand, more for mud and such. Your not going to submerge your axles in the sand. I would only wash after you leave the sand.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Assateague requires a permit, just so you know!

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Well that was a heckuva lot of fun! :) The line at the fee gate was a bit of a wait, and then there was a wait to get on the beach, but other than that, it was a blast.

Thanks for all the advice!

Phil

• That only happens on Holiday weekends.

I kinda figured that. I'm really looking forward to my next trip down. I might have to take a day off to do it, given my travel schedule and the East Coast JK Fest.

Lessons learned this trip (in a nutshell): bug spray isn't needed in a 20 kt wind (yay), take the right tool for the job (deflator is great for airing down, but need a regular gauge for inflating again), people don't use common sense or follow the rules (a family from CT in a Suzuki crossover didn't air down, got stuck 50m from the end of the pavement, and had neither a shovel nor a tow strap), the compressors don't run when the power is out :doh: and take firewood for a campfire!

Question: are aux. lights necessary for running on the beach at night, or will stock headlights be sufficient?

Phil

• Generally, if it's a sea breeze the bugs don't bother you. If it's a land breeze they are gonna suck and spray usually won't help.

Headlights are fine for at night. Tiki torches are nice to have.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!