turn signal question...99 jeep TJ

• a co-worker has a 99 TJ with the "flat fender" flares on it (bushwacker??) these have the LED side markers in them.

the LED marker on the right side is INOP.

with the head/parking lights off, the left turn signal works, but only the front (factory) location. When the parking/head lights are on both (factory and LED) flash.

on the right side,lights off, the factory signal flashes, and with the parking/head lights on, the arrow on the dash is illuminated, and the flasher does not work. the ODO (mileage) turns off also.

is this caused by the INOP LED on the right side creating a short or does he have deeper problems..

I am going to cut the splice at the LED and see if the problem is corrected. just wondering if anyone has had similar problems with LED swaps and what not.

• Replace the flasher module with a solid state version. I think that might work.. Have heard it before.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Nope...flasher change won't work. Need to rewire things to have them work. I'm running LED front signals and am wired for LED markers at inspection time, have a diagram somewhere for it...you need to convert the LED from 2->3 wire using a couple diodes and a resistor. That will allow you to feed park, turn, and ground to the LED. Current is only passed in an LED in one direction by default if you look at a wiring diagram from 'normal' sidemarkers the ground is through the dead turn circuit and when the signal is activated it loses ground, hence flashing in reverse of the signal lights.

If this makes any sense...IIRC you will use an appropriately rated diode and a 10K-ish resistor:

Park + ----->|-------~------\
    \
    Turn + ----->|----------------------LED +

Chassis Gnd-------------------------LED -

--Ian

• Ian, I think i understand what you are saying.....let me put it into words...

parking wire positive, diode, resistor, attach to -------\
    ----------- LED POSITIVE
    Turn wire positive, diode , attach to --------------------/

Chassis ground--------------------------------------------------------LED GROUND

What is the purpose of the resistor....to keep the parking lights dim, and the turn signal bright???

Ill have to put on my thinking cap and remember the old DC electronics labs @ delTech..

Let me know if i am looking at your diagram wrong...and thanks for the help.

• You have it right...both the diagram and the reason for the resistor. Looked at the parts I used from radio shack:

276-1103 - 1N4004 Micro 1-Amp Rectifier Diode
    271-1116 - 560 ohm 1/2W 5% Carbon Film Resistor 5pk

Dunno why I was thinking 10K resistor...

--Ian

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!