welding steel to cast iron ?

• Would anyone in the newark area be able to give me a hand weld a couple small pieces together this evening? I could come to you and would be willing to pay you. thank you

Jason

• It's cast...but is it cast iron or cast steel? Many people ass-ume that just being cast that an item is 'iron'. Iron requires a bit of special knowledge (preheat, postheat, high-nickel content rod, etc) and can be a bit more difficult but welding to cast steel is no biggie and can be pretty easily accomplished with just a normal MIG setup. Most people avoid the situation and mebbe I'm just lucky but I beat the hell out of my TJ w/ the driver UCA mount welded to my 60's pumpkin with no issues. It's only recently that I trussed the axle and that was mostly to gain a spot for my steering ram.

I was always taught the 'spark test' by old-timers...hit the piece with a grinder and cast steel will throw a bright white/yellow spark just like any mild steel where cast iron has a darker orange-ish look that dissipates much quicker.

--Ian

• Hey Ian.... its def cast Iron according to the spec sheet..... it doesnt have to be a great weld as it wont be under that much load.... more just the fact the it must be held stationary.

would you be able to help?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!