body swap

• [color=blue]ok Im in the process of getting ready to swap my motor out of My 88 XJ into My 89 XJ. is there any tricks/ things to look for/ sugestions/ comments on doing this swap? Im hoping it will go smoothly since Im taking out motor/tranny/transfer in one shot and replacing in one shot. figured I didnt want to use the tranny and transfer thats been sitting for a year.

ALSO........ I need to find out if anyone in the Dover/Felton area might have one of them Torque bits to fit the stupid bolts for the front bumper. Mine is too small and I can bring it to you one evening so I can get them out. Im planning on replacing them with regular hex head bolts when the bumper goes back on.

thanks
    89 Cherokee

• 89 cherokee,
    can't offer up much advice about the engine swap...but i have the torx bits you're looking for. i'm outside of dover on route 8 about 2 miles. i'll be off from work thursday through saturday this week if you want to stop by - just send a PM my way and let me know when you might be around.
    chris

p.s...maybe joe (bbd) could offer up some advice on the swap? he's currently waist deep in a 2.5 to 4.0 swap on his yj.

• Um, do you plan on removing the powertrain through the top or drop it out from underneath? I guess youre gonna remove the frontend and try to go out there? Will the XJ frontend even come off or are you planning on removing this assembly by cutting? I would think it would just be easier to remove the handfull of torque converter and bellhousing bolts, pick the motor out the top and drop the rest from the bottom. :shrug:

• Jim:

Im planning on taking everything out going from the front. Was hoping to remove all in one piece. I have already found out that after a few screws and nuts { boy aren't we all a bunch of nuts... LOL} that the whole front nose assembly comes off.

Quad:

thanks will send ya a PM

89 Cherokee

• Heh...Paul and I got plenty of practice at this last weekend. Pull the front fascia off, the upper rad support, the radiator/fans, and then pivot the condenser out of the way (you _will_ need to bend the lines but it can be done and returned to normal without crimping/breaking them). Once that's out of the way the whole front's nice and open. Make sure you have a leveler on the hoist you use as it really comes in handy...

--Ian

• ok ... heres the plan.... June 12-13 Im going to be removing the motor from the 88 XJ and putting it in the 89 XJ. then there is the BIG question... what to to with the 88 XJ body. all is there except front bumper, motor, tranny, transfer, and radiator. body is a little rough but intact. all glass and power windows and locks.White ext. red cloth int. Maybe $200 obo and you can have it once the motor/tranny/transfer swap is complete.

89 Cherokee

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!