1999 Jeep Cherokee hinge pin replacement

• I recently bought a 99 Cherokee sport. The drivers door sags when opened. I bought a replacement hinge pin from autozone. I replaced it this past sunday. I had to take a grinder and grind off the head of the old hinge pin because it is pressed in. I used a air chisel to get it out. I put the new bushings and pin in but the door still sags. It appears that the holes in the hinge itself are oblonged from use. Has anyone else run into this and have and suggestions? I've searched online and found a few posts recommending using a grade 8 bolt. I called my local jeep dealer and all they have is a complete replacement hinge but since it's welded to the body it's more than I want to get into at this time. Thank you.

• It appears that the holes in the hinge itself are oblonged from use. I called my local jeep dealer and all they have is a complete replacement hinge but since it's welded to the body it's more than I want to get into at this time. Thank you.

it's not an uncommon problem with XJs. as far as i know, since the holes are stretched, welding a new hinge assembly is the only real fix.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Any recommendation on where to have the work done? I've used Finish Line auto body for some other vehicle fixes b/c they are faster and cheaper than the dealership. Thank you.

• Any recommendation on where to have the work done? I've used Finish Line auto body for some other vehicle fixes b/c they are faster and cheaper than the dealership. Thank you.

you'll need someone else help you with a recommendation. i'm in PA ;)

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Does anyone know where to get the smaller pins for a front door of a cherokee sport 1999? I sawed all four of the pins off and bought four new pins but the new pins are all the same size and only fit the bigger, main hinge pin. There are two small pins for each front door, about 1/4'' in diameter and I can't seem to find where to buy them.

Thanks!!

• These were the factory double capped hinge pins. Here's a pic of two I cut, note the difference in size and the shiny one of course is the replacement I bought which fits the larger of the two pins. I went to napa and other auto places (Monday I'll go to a jeep dealership) and they all had the larger pins like the one I purchased.

The smaller pins (which I wish I didn't cut now..) seem to only serve as a stopper to allow the door only to open so far. They're 1/4'' in diameter. I can't seem to find them anywhere so far..

• Are these the ones you are referring too? http://www.quadratec.com/products/55014_8203.htm

[size=12px]Dorman 38434 Door Check Pin[/size]
    [size=12px]I ordered these from auto zone for my sons cherokee[/size]
    [size=12px][/size][size=15px]http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-3…ve&vehicleType=automotive[/size][/size][size=12px][/size][/size][size=12px]

People sleep peacably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on thier behalf.<br />- George Orwell.<br /><br />&#924;&#927;&#923;&#937;&#925; &#923;&#913;&#914;&#917;

Edited once, last by KITCH ().

• Really? Those will work? I never would have guessed. I will order them and give it a try. Thank you very much. Great forum, full of great knowledge from everyone!

• Looking at your picture and the links that Ron and I posted, I don't think the pins we posted up will work. The pins we posted links too are just for the arm that keeps the notched travel of the door...not the actual door hinge pins. Sorry - I'll keep looking for the ones you're looking for.

• Ok thanks, I canceled the order on Amazon. Those didn't quite look right. Oh yah, those are for the little latch arm in the middle.

Here's a couple more pictures but I think you understand exactly where this pin is from now.

• So the jeep dealership told me that the hinge comes as a whole unit consisting of both pins and both hinge plates, $90. The problem is, the hinge that is connected to the body is welded on..

There has to be a easier solution to find a pin this size.. Maybe I'll try a hardware store..

Any suggestions?

• I finally installed the fix to the hinge pin mess.. I used a dremel tool to cut the four pins in the front drivers door. I went through a couple blades because the plastic kept gumming up the blade making it coated with melted plastic but they can be reused after melting/grinding off the plastic coating.

I bought some after market pins on ebay for the main hinge pin but they were just a tad bit too big to pound through the 'set' thread at the end so I had to round file the hinge hole a bit to get them to set/fit.

For the smaller 1/4'' stopping pin I ended up using a normal bolt with the end threaded only, accompanied with a locking nut. See picture for the final installation. It worked great, door is straight and solid. I also replaced all six of the bolts that hold the hinge to the door with new ones.

It took more time than expected but that's been the case with this jeep. Hope this helps others with the same issue & year of jeep.

Note* as stated above, nobody was familiar with the small hinge pin, except a jeep dealer and they only offered a whole new hinge set which would have resulted in breaking some welding and re-welding the hinge set back on.. that is poor design and would've cost a fortune unless you can weld..

• Note* as stated above, nobody was familiar with the small hinge pin, except a jeep dealer and they only offered a whole new hinge set which would have resulted in breaking some welding and re-welding the hinge set back on.. that is poor design and would've cost a fortune unless you can weld..

Or you could have taken the new hinge apart not removing the door stop pin.

• Nice job, but you missed a golden (pink) opportunity... Lambo Doors!

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!