XJ Clutch replacement

• Jeepers!!!
    It seems I need a Clutch on my 97 XJ. I have ordered a Sachs stage one clutch kit, a re-manufactured fly wheel, slave cylinder/master assembly, and a rear main seal(pretty sure its leaking). My mechanic is going to put it all in this Saturday. Does anyone have any input on this. Can yall give me a red or green light on this project. :up: :down:
    :lie: Chuck

• Clutches aren't hard to replace. Unless you have a 4wd and have to monkey around with disconnecting a transfer case before you can get to work on the transmission.

Let the mechanic do it unless you are tight on money. This type of job has broken the hearts of more backyard mechanics that you want to know about. Especially since you have to replace the rear main seals. Not a bad idea to replace any seals on the trans and transfer case at the same time. And also replace your throwout bearing same as the clutch. Last, but never least, the input shaft bushing! Always, always, always replace these three things at the same time. The most awe-inspiring and prolific bout of cursing I've ever seen was caused by a bad input shaft bushing after a clutch replacement.

• Thanx man,
    I'll call my mechanic tommorrow and make sure we have seals for the transfer case and the input shaft bushing. The throw out bearing is supposedly in the clutch kit. Do you know anything about Sachs stage one clutches(or does it really matter)? :rolleyes:
    Chuck[/quote]

• Never heard either good or bad, but the main thing is pressure plate poundage. The amount of tension exerted by your pressure plate, plus a few mechanical mods by either the your linkage or hydraulic system equals how much pedal force you have to exert to keep the clutch released.

High pressure clutches mean positive hookup, but it also means a lot of leg strength and maybe bending mechanical linkages or blowing out hydraulic actuators that aren't up to par with the pressure plate. Not to mention aggravating old football injuries on your clutch leg. That and a long afternoon stuck in traffic is the main reason my daily driver isn't a gearbox any longer.

• Wow!,
    I watched the guys replace my Fly wheel, Throwout bearing, Input shaft bushing, clutch, cover, and my transfer case fluid. I'm exhausted and I didn't even do the work. Quite an operation. The slave and master cylinder were not leaking so we didn't replace them. I did have them on hand, so I'll hold on to them for later.
    Chuck

• If you dont mind posting up, how much did you pay for labor? A friend of mine paid over $500 for a clutch job... The $ is the reason I do these things myself.

• Sorry it took me a couple of days,
    They charged me $350 to put the goods in. I bought all the goods. I think when it was all said and done I spent about $725.
    As I said before, I hope to not have to do that again.
    Chuck

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!