Trail Safety

• Andrew I also am willing to help out in any way possible. I think it would be a great idea to have a trail ride only for perspective trail leaders. I think for the most part the trail leaders jeeps are able to handle the trails (that we are willing to lead on) (obviously I'm not going to lead an extream trail) so maybe we just take a day and take up maybe 5 or 6 of us and teach us the trail systems. At the same time you can tell us whats expected of us while leading and then maybe we can all take time and lead a section of the trails. Just an idea.
    Let me know your thoughts
    Brian (future trail guide in training)

By the way I do have the card from Paragon to allow me to be a trail guide.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I don't feel as though I'm entitled to offer advice here, as I probably have been going to less trail rides than anyone, but for those of us (me included) who are willing to learn and guide stock groups, I think the biggest obstacle is getting to know the parks better. And the only way to do that is to go on more trail rides.

If I was more comfortable with what trail is what and where, I'd be happy to learn and to take stock groups out. I think getting people new to trail riding through their first day of trails would be almost as exciting as going on the harder stuff.

Of course, that's coming from someone who has seen little of the harder stuff too.

This thread has really taken off. Can we discuss this more at the meeting? And possible put together a small, maybe 3 person committee to put together some sort of overall guidelines for guides and riders?

• I was thinking about this a little more tonight and came up with another idea. What if we approached Paragon with an idea. I believe that one of the main reasons we are having difficulty in having more people volunteer to take charge of these rides is that the trails are poorly marked at Paragon. I personally can't speak as too Raush Creek because I have never been there. What if we offer to Paragon for us to better mark the trails. If they make up the signs maybe we can take a day or weekend and post each trail head for them or atleast as many as we can do in a day or two. If we did a trail guide training course for a hand full of people maybe we could drive for free if we posted signs as we went. That way not only are we learning the trails but we are also making it easier for those that follow to find and locate on a map. Correct me if I'm wrong but the maps have trail names for each road but the trails themselves only have colored arrows. Maybe we could suggest trail names and markers for them and help post them.
    Just a suggestion and maybe it would help Paragon and all the clubs who use the trails.
    Let me know your thoughts :shrug:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Brian, that's not an outrageous idea. I have occasionally fantasized (on sleepless nights before trail rides) of going around the park and actually putting up good trail signs...wouldn't that shock everyone in the morning! But maybe we can approach them with the idea as a club activity for Paragon's benefit. I just hope that they wouldn't get insulted, thinking that trails are already well signed.

• I know of atleast one person with gps units... maybe the club can by 2 or 3 for the trail guides to use and we can mark all the trail heads with gps cordiantes......

• But that would only actually benefit someone out trail riding who has a GPS wouldn't it? I'd think just signed, clearly marked trails would benefit more people.

• After four trips to Paragon I have to say every leader has been great. Some have been greater than others but overall each run has been a fun experience leaving me wanting to do it again. The only suggestion I would like to make to the trail leaders is that as they turn onto a trail, just say the name and level of the trail on the CB. Many times I have missed the signs completely and I have no idea if I just turned on to a tough or easy trail until it is over.

• I LIKE that... simple, and we'd ALL start to know the trails just by repeating the names over and over.

BRILLIANT!!!

DrJ

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!