1991 yj interior paint.

• What's the best way to paint my interior in my jeep. Like my dash and door panels. I'm guessing the previous owner had no clue what he was doing and now I'm realizing he just rattle canned it. I wanna only have to do it once and get it right. :help:

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• You van get very nice results wirh cans. PPG off Harmony rd has som decent also Eastwood. Remember 90% prep 10% paint.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 with Taptalk 2

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• keep in mind if you are trying to re-spray your existing panels, your results will be impacted by the current method. not sure how to strip spray paint from 20+ year old plastic parts

• Well it looks like its originally a spice color.... And didn't do a good job doing it.... So I'm hoping it won't be to hard to strip.... Should I primer everything before I start the process?

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Well it looks like its originally a spice color.... And didn't do a good job doing it.... So I'm hoping it won't be to hard to strip.... Should I primer everything before I start the process?

Look for a self etching automotive primer. PPG sells it. If you want a nice look, there are some pretty cool textured and Spatter paints out there. I used a Tan Stone color on my CJ Dash. After its clear coated, it is very durable. Also they cover up imperfections great because they go on so thick. Spatter looks cool too. Its usually black with grey or color bits. The looks is like the paint you used to see in car trunks.

http://www.lategreatchevy.com/…ray-paint-black-gray.html

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• So should I strip the old rattle can stuff off first before I decide to go with this? I'm kinda new to this painting stuff lol. Mechanical my I can fix almost anything but painting not so much.

• So should I strip the old rattle can stuff off first before I decide to go with this? I'm kinda new to this painting stuff lol. Mechanical my I can fix almost anything but painting not so much.

Guess it depends on how much time you want to spend on it. How good you want it to look. Base prep is key. Now if your painting plastics, you will generally want to use paint formulated for that. Also try to take as much apart as possible and paint off of the Jeep. If you can sand blast, you will get a great prep, hand sanding is fine as well. remember a clear coat will make it super durable.

• OK... Thanx for the info.... It would be nice to see a write up on this lol... But I will post pics when I start doing this.....

• just remember..NO ACETONE use alcohol of something that wont soften the plastic or make it brittle.

• OK.... So now that would be the next question I guess lol.... What about a stripper of some type..... ( not the kind that swings from poles) before I get a slew of comments on that haha.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!