Need Help! Transmission Woes

• Everything went well yesterday except one thing. I went through a very, very deep hole on Lucky yesterday that was up to my head lights in goo and water. After backing out the way I came in (because I could no longer go forward) I noticed it was not shifting right. It still ran okay so I figured it would correct itself after I got some of the mud out. Anyway now I can stick it in Drive and it starts itself out in second gear and stays there. Its a 3 speed automatic but it seems to be stuck in second gear. I can manually shift into first and it will go but while in drive it does not shift down or up at all. I drove all the way home last night doing 50 mph and tacking 3 grand or more. I desperately need to get this thing right for GWNF so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to get under it today and see if I see anything obvious but I know nothing of transmissions so it will probably do no good. Do you think maybe just changing the fluids and filter would help?
    Please let me know

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Wow, that is very weird. That's exactly how I lost my first 3-speed auto tranny. Except mine would stay in 2nd regardless if it was in Drive or manually.

I would definately change the fluid and and filter and see if that does anything. If not, I can only recommend to replace it with a Jasper Tranny with a warrenty.

Good Luck

-Chris

• Well I crawled around under it for a little while and made sure all the sensors were hooked up. I unplugged and plugged in all the wires to make sure the connections were good and then took it for a drive. I don't know what was wrong but its working correctly again. Maybe one of the sensors was not all the way seated. I think I am going to change the fluid and filter anyway but it seems to be okay now.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)

• Yeah I did check the dipstick and the fluids still look real nice. I don't see any water or dirt on the stick. Oh well I think I'll change it anyway and then grease all the connectors for next time. :peace:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)

• Look for di-electric grease to do your connections and battery terminal spray to seal the outside of you connectors. Spray bomb clear coat works to seal stuff to.

• You need to be extrememly careful with deep water crossings and a TJ with an automatic. The vent is directly on the top of the tranny and is not vented higher like the t-case and the diffs. There are a few writeups on the net on how to vent it higher. I cannot stress how much I reccomend you do this. I know at least 3 TJ trannies that have been trashed in this manner.

• Well today I finally got time to tear out my skid and replace the filter and fluid in my tranny. Everything looked good. No mud or water in any of the fluid. I replaced the fluid and took it for a long test ride and it rode perfect. I guess it was just some mud in the connectors. Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to use that dielectric grease and go over all the connectors. By the way while I was down there I looked at the way if was vented. Mine is actually about 1/2 way up into the engine compartment and it seems to have a one way valve on the end. Does that sound right.? Atleast thats what it seems to look like to me anyway.
    Oh well atleast its all back to normal :wavey:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!