interior fan problems

• my blower fan only works on high...could this be a wire i knocked out somehow. has anyone else had this problem... dont want to waste a day taking it to the dealer if i can take care of it myself

Dave

• dave,
    pull the console shell off and then slide out the climate control face - only had two screws holding in mine if i remember correctly. try wiggling the connector in the back of it to make sure it's all seated properly. if that's not the problem then maybe the switch itself? if i were to guess i'd say the switch before the fan....since the switch may have a few dead spots in the rheostat? that is if it's got one inside...maybe just extra contacts that it engages. either way, seems more likely a switch than a fan. good luck...
    chris

oh, maybe find someone that you can swap the switch out with to confirm before ordering anything?

• thanks chris..that is what i was thinking... it just started recently...but i have had my dash apart..so mabie i didnt connect something all the way.

ill have to try that before wasting my time at the dealer

• There isn't a rheostat, the switch selects taps on the blower motor resistor.

Either the resistor is fried os the connector came unplugged from it. It's supposed to be behind the glovebox, but I just looked on mine and couldn't find it.

Like Chris suggested, open it up and take a look. Follow the wires from the fan speed switch and see where they go. In HI the fan receives full voltage, in MED and LO the resistor limits the current and therefore the speed.

• Ive had a couple TJs come through the shop at CP Diver for Used Car inspections that had similar problems. Every one of em turned out to be the switch itself. Ive got a test one in my toolbox that is missing the 3rd speed. You have to replace the whole control head to fix just that one switch last time I checked; You cant just buy the one blower switch. IIRC you have to flip up the trim panel at the base of the windshield to access two screws, and the other two are farther down, I think one was behind the astray door. (4 total) there is a resistor mounted in the HVAC box, behind the glovebox, youll just see a couple wires going into it I think. The contacts in the switch lead to separated resistors, wired in series in the resistor, but like I said, Ive seen 3 now that were the control switch. Easiest way to check may be to "swing test" a known good resistor or control head. If that doesnt fix it then its the other one. hope that helps, Jim

• I just had ANOTHER used car inspection on an 01 TJ. Guess what. The number 2 position for the blower doesnt work! But if you push in on the knob it kinda comes on. Oh, and apparently the rear ujoint bolts backed out, and the rear ujoint is done, along with the seal and the yoke, all 4 bolts, and the straps. (they buy these things from other dealers who say they are in "great" shape) But back on subject, have you tested the switch or resistor yet?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!